Valued Contributor

Re: sad Gili hobo I saw at a restaurant yesterday.

Maybe OP recognized the ""G"" hardware on the bag + the cream ostrich and a double zipper....easy to guess.... of course she might be wrong. Maybe she can clarify Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

On 12/1/2014 tough_kitty said:
On 12/1/2014 santorini said:
On 12/1/2014 tough_kitty said:
On 12/1/2014 santorini said:

I'm just surprised she actually thought it was a Gili. With the zillions of purse makers and knock-off companies, I'm never actually sure of what I'm looking at when I pass someone.

If it was a knock-off bag, it would have had LV signs on it!

Well, since hers (GILI) is a knock-off of a famous brand, I'm not so sure the only knock-offs are LV.

Knock-off is an imitation of an original. The GILI hobo was inspired by the LV hobo, it looks similar but not identical. Check your definition of a knock-off.

TK-you are absolutely correct & not rude at all. This thread strikes me as a snarky comment about GILI handbags. Other brands have their issues too-like cracking/dangerous Tempations stoneware and quality/sizing with Linea garments like that ugly skirt on LTS earlier today-lol, every size in every color is available--hurry, don't miss it.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Valued Contributor

Thanks, Chi-town girl Smiley Happy That's too funny about Linea. I think overall I am done shopping at Q. I found amazing deals on D&B bags on dooney.com and ILD.com! With all the discounts $150 for a brand new Dooney in Florentine leather!! It's a steal! And of course free shipping! (Gotta buy 2 bags $199 each + another small item to make it over $400 and get a 30% discount).

Honored Contributor

I do think there are real differences between knock-offs, replicas and 'inspired by'. Gili isn't being sold as another brand, and that makes a big difference. I also don't think they are 'low end'. While they clearly are not 'high-end', 'couture' or 'designer' bags, to me, they're decent leather bags, and for the most part sold at a decent price, though I do think a couple of them might have been a bit over-priced for what they were... just like almost every other handbag out there...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

To me a knock-off bag is a bag that I might look at and think it's a LV bag but upon closer inspection, it's a fake. I don't think the same can be said about any of the GILI bags since they look nothing like the original GUCCI or LV "inspirations".
Trusted Contributor

@annabella_1 wrote:
On 11/30/2014 happy housewife said:
On 11/30/2014 AnnaBella said:

I think it is an over priced lower end handbag.... much like most of the GILI products.

So in your opinion, it is then ok to treat it badly???? Because in my opinion - when I pay that much for anything I treat it like gold.

Heck, I was carrying a Travelon and I was more careful with it than she was with her roma tote.

I do not understand why you are so defending someone else's handbag? It is not a child or a pet.... IT IS A HANDBAG... and not a great one at that. Isn't it her business how she treats something that is hers and she purchased? No one is laughing at you for being gentle with an inexpensive Travelon bag... that is cool, you have your right to do whatever you want with your STUFF.....

I really do not watch other people and what they are doing when I am out... I mind my business and they mind theirs. It just seems petty to be so up in arms about the treatment of someone elses handbag. Just an observation.

DITTO.

Trusted Contributor

@151949 wrote:
On 11/30/2014 happy housewife said:

I think it is an over priced lower end handbag.... much like most of the GILI products.

So in your opinion, it is then ok to treat it badly???? Because in my opinion - when I pay that much for anything I treat it like gold.

Heck, I was carrying a Travelon and I was more careful with it than she was with her roma tote.

I do not understand why you are so defending someone else's handbag? It is not a child or a pet.... IT IS A HANDBAG... and not a great one at that. Isn't it her business how she treats something that is hers and she purchased? No one is laughing at you for being gentle with an inexpensive Travelon bag... that is cool, you have your right to do whatever you want with your STUFF.....

I really do not watch other people and what they are doing when I am out... I mind my business and they mind theirs. It just seems petty to be so up in arms about the treatment of someone elses handbag. Just an observation.

Oh go start your fight somewhere else - we aren't taking the bait on this thread.

You're still defending. Smiley LOL

Esteemed Contributor

I notice other women's handbags and how new looking or worn out they appear. My own pet peeve is when handles start peeling or cracking on my own bags. I hate it when manufacturers cut corners on handles and trim. I do not like light colored bags that can look dirty easily either.
Respected Contributor

We used to have a QVC outlet in our town and I saw many GILI bags there.  Quite frankly, I wasn't impressed by the quality.  They had the Dooney bags locked up, but the GiLI bags were all just sitting out on racks.  There were lots of them!  I was told their stock came from returns and over-stocked items.  There were more GILI bags than any other brand except, maybe, BMak.

Respected Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

I wonder if she got it as a gift and has no appreciation for what someone spent on her.

Someone told me a story about a woman who got a LV for a gift and wrote on it with a sharpie!  I treat all my bags very well and respect my money too much to do anything less.