Trusted Contributor

Are weegans the same as Weejuns? I read Teen Magazine and there were fashion reports every month from different sections of the country.  This board is the only place I've seen Bass weegans.

As we had to wear saddles with our uniform, our Weejuns were worn on dates and fun events.  They were exclusive to 1 or 2 stores in the area.

Honored Contributor

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

So very glad the color oxblood is back in fashion for shoes. I always wore oxblood shoes all through high school as those were the fashion of the day back then.( bass weegans) They are such a pretty neutral. Last fall I bought a pair of oxblood Clark's loafers and wore them all winter almost every day. They were a great combo of beauty and comfort for my casual retiree lifestyle@15194

Wow what a throwback in time!  I wore Bass Weegans (penny loafers) and knee socks!  We were known as the rah-rahs (collegiante crowd).  Thanks for the memories✌️

We would wear knee socks when it was very cold but mostly wore stockings. i was already finished nursing school before panty hose came out.

Honored Contributor

@abbeythe 8thWhen I was in high school I didn't have time to memorize Teen magazine's spelling, I was a bit busy working to get a schlorship , being a majorette and having a job. What little spare time I had was spent with my boyfriend - now my husband - and my girlfriends. If I had nothing else to do but read magazines I guess I would have spelled it differently. Thank you so much for totally missing the point of the thread but being sure to point out that spelling to me.

Trusted Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@abbeythe 8thWhen I was in high school I didn't have time to memorize Teen magazine's spelling, I was a bit busy working to get a schlorship , being a majorette and having a job. What little spare time I had was spent with my boyfriend - now my husband - and my girlfriends. If I had nothing else to do but read magazines I guess I would have spelled it differently. Thank you so much for totally missing the point of the thread but being sure to point out that spelling to me.

2 posters used the name Weegans.  I thought it may have been a regional name for a shoe.

No, I didn't memorize Teen Magazine, but I do remember the name of the shoes we all wore.  Even our boyfriends wore them.

Why are you always so rude?

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Good grief.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

So very glad the color oxblood is back in fashion for shoes. I always wore oxblood shoes all through high school as those were the fashion of the day back then.( bass weegans) They are such a pretty neutral. Last fall I bought a pair of oxblood Clark's loafers and wore them all winter almost every day. They were a great combo of beauty and comfort for my casual retiree lifestyle@15194

Wow what a throwback in time!  I wore Bass Weegans (penny loafers) and knee socks!  We were known as the rah-rahs (collegiante crowd).  Thanks for the memories✌️

Error in sp of "collegiate"...what a word to misspell!😁

Respected Contributor

@abbeythe 8th wrote:

Are weegans the same as Weejuns? I read Teen Magazine and there were fashion reports every month from different sections of the country.  This board is the only place I've seen Bass weegans.

As we had to wear saddles with our uniform, our Weejuns were worn on dates and fun events.  They were exclusive to 1 or 2 stores in the area.

We had to wear saddles with our uniforms too (elementary) but busted loose freshman year in high school!  Only two stores in town carried them as well.  I had such narrow feet and worried they wouldn't stay on my heel, but we wore knee sock with them so problem solved.  I remember putting pennies in as soon as I got them home!

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

So very glad the color oxblood is back in fashion for shoes. I always wore oxblood shoes all through high school as those were the fashion of the day back then.( bass weegans) They are such a pretty neutral. Last fall I bought a pair of oxblood Clark's loafers and wore them all winter almost every day. They were a great combo of beauty and comfort for my casual retiree lifestyle.

If you weren't wearing cordovan Weejuns--and colorful Pappagallo flats!--you were nowhere! That dates me, not that I mind. And Villager clothes. And louden coats from Austria!  Thank goodness my mother understood and indulged me. 

Respected Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

@151949 wrote:

So very glad the color oxblood is back in fashion for shoes. I always wore oxblood shoes all through high school as those were the fashion of the day back then.( bass weegans) They are such a pretty neutral. Last fall I bought a pair of oxblood Clark's loafers and wore them all winter almost every day. They were a great combo of beauty and comfort for my casual retiree lifestyle.

If you weren't wearing cordovan Weejuns--and colorful Pappagallo flats!--you were nowhere! That dates me, not that I mind. And Villager clothes. And louden coats from Austria!  Thank goodness my mother understood and indulged me. 

Sorry for iPad error. I dictated "loden" coats from Austria, and it typed something else.

Honored Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

We must be contemporaries.  We also wore Ladybug and John Meyer of Norwich.

VINTAGE 70's PAPPAGALLO SHOES -just like mine: