Valued Contributor

I'm a NYC gal myself. I highly recommend MZ Wallace bags of which I have a few. They're a bit pricey but they have great sales around the holidays. The bags are nylon and leather, very durable, lightweight, have light colored interiors, lots of pockets, keep everything dry, and just all around functional (each has a little slip pocket for Metro Card, and comes with a small pouch). Oh and they're beautiful. I have had mine for years and they look brand new. They really do wear like iron, so while the prices are high, they are workhorses. There are very detailed descriptions on the MZ Wallace website. Many of the styles have cross body straps. The "Paige" is great, the "Haley" is a larger version that can be worn two ways. When my mother was using a cane, I bought her the Paige and she loves that bag. Still one of her favorites to carry and she has given up the cane and has many other bags (Dooney and Cole Haan) that she rotates. As a crossbody, I too prefer the "Paige" silhouette.

Hope that helps.

Esteemed Contributor
On 11/13/2014 foo foo shi shi said:

I'm a NYC gal myself. I highly recommend MZ Wallace bags of which I have a few. They're a bit pricey but they have great sales around the holidays. The bags are nylon and leather, very durable, lightweight, have light colored interiors, lots of pockets, keep everything dry, and just all around functional (each has a little slip pocket for Metro Card, and comes with a small pouch). Oh and they're beautiful. I have had mine for years and they look brand new. They really do wear like iron, so while the prices are high, they are workhorses. There are very detailed descriptions on the MZ Wallace website. Many of the styles have cross body straps. The "Paige" is great, the "Haley" is a larger version that can be worn two ways. When my mother was using a cane, I bought her the Paige and she loves that bag. Still one of her favorites to carry and she has given up the cane and has many other bags (Dooney and Cole Haan) that she rotates. As a crossbody, I too prefer the "Paige" silhouette.

Hope that helps.

Wow...thanks for the info. I am going to check these out during the holidays. I am in California and never heard about this line. I need lightweight bags these days and it is hard to find one that is stylish and functional. I like the Kara.

Super Contributor
On 11/12/2014 franinnyc said:

Stevieb,

Thanks for your suggestions. But we here in Manhattan do not have as many shopping options as you might think. We have high end or low end and nothing in between. And Macy's and Lord and Taylor have gone upscale and expensive. The low end stores are a waste of time. I've checked Amazon and ebags and a hundred other sites, including ebay. Either I'm too fussy or there's nothing out there for me.

But I'll keep on trying and to Sylanne, thanks for the Boscov's tip.

Hi Fran, I'm down in the Village and would suggest the TJMAXX and Marshalls on 18th and 6th Avenue...they are not pigstys, but rather well-organized stores which carry a large variety of designer and nondesigner handbags. I would also suggest Vera Bradley...they now make leather, nonleather and microfiber bags in solid colors. VBs are highly organized bags..you may be pleased with their assortment. Hope this helps...good luckSmiley Happy)))
Valued Contributor
On 11/13/2014 Hi Cindy said:

Hope that helps.

Wow...thanks for the info. I am going to check these out during the holidays. I am in California and never heard about this line. I need lightweight bags these days and it is hard to find one that is stylish and functional. I like the Kara.

The Kara is beautiful IRL, just adorable.

Super Contributor

Hope that helps.

Ah, MZ Wallace is a favorite of my Mom's...I'm actually thinking of getting one myself because of its versatility in inclement weather! Very pretty bags and a great suggestion Foo Foo Shi Shi!
Highlighted
Contributor

foo foo shi shi,

Thanks for the MZ Wallace tip. Their store is quite near and I'll drop in soon. I've been checking them on ebay, too. Those prices, though, are really expensive. I will wait for the sales.