Honored Contributor

getting your feet scanned---OMG!!!

I have been having a wretched time finding walking shoes that feel good--never had feet issues in my 67 years until these last few months--- I thought....I was a size 8 medium----but had my feet measured at a local New Balance store and good godfry!!!!!! My size is 8 1/2 !!!! All my shoes are size 8!!  I must have the worlds wackiest pair of feet---one foot is flat, the other has a high arch, narrow heels, between a medium and wide width, normal" ball" width--that is new to me---- and then for an added twist, have a big toe with arthritis in it------was on a mission to buy new sneaks even paying the $180 that the pair of shoes I tried on was priced--but they didn't feel good either. Guess I will pay a visit to the podiatrist for orthotics before I get new shoes---can you say---CHA-CHING !!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: getting your feet scanned---OMG!!!

When I had a hip replacement 6 years ago, my surgeon told me that from what he'd seen, most women wear too small/too narrow shoes.

I hope you find comfort.  

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I didn't know you could get your feet scanned (or maybe measured) at the sport's shoe store.  Good information.  I hope you find relief....my husband and I have Brooks Ghost, very stable and hard core walking shoes.  We have run in them as well as extensive walking trips.  But shoes are individual and specific for your feet. 

When I was young, I was always attracted to clunky orthopedic type shoes...always wore Birkenstocks, Earth Shoes (remember the negative heels), etc.  My mom always made fun of my alley oop shoes.  Now I am grateful for those choices and I still tend to favor Birks, Naots, Frye clunky boots, Ugg clogs,etc.

Wishing you comfy feet...don't worry about stylin', funky can be fashionHeart

Honored Contributor

I have long feet and short toes.  I wear a 7 1/2 and always have.  An 8 feels better but it too long in the front so if I ever get an 8 I trip over the too long toe.

Therefore I have to have a half sized shoe.  The heel is always too big too, but it is what it is.  I can't be falling down. 

Esteemed Contributor

Having and wearing comfortable, supportive shoes is SO important.! I have super narrow feet and the beginnings of arthritis. Finding great shoes that fit is a never-ending task. I sometimes look at shoes online and my feet just hurt (vicariously) as I imagine what it would feel like to wear tgem.

Respected Contributor

@wagirl Reminds me of my childhood when buying shoes the child stepped up on an x-ray type machine in their new shoes so the salesperson could see the fit. Mother could check it out, too. 

Valued Contributor

We have a running store here called Fleet Feet and I got a Volumental 3d scan of my feet.  I got an email with a link to the result and its really interesting. My left foot is 7.2" and my right is 7.5", both C width.  It also gave arch height, instep height, heel width, ball girth, and all of those relative to the female population.  And I have a rotating 3d image of my feet.  All that from standing on this thing.  I was amazed and I now know why medium width shoes are always just a little too narrow and wide shoes are too wide.  It is sooooo frustating for me to find shoes that fit perfectly.  If you have an opportunity to go to one of those stores, get a scan, it is free.  

Honored Contributor

thanks all for your comments!!

I had  achilles tendon surgery on both in 2006/07. Dr took the ligament/tendon  from both big toes to attached it to the damaged  tendon/ligament  so have  had stiffness since, as well as can't curl my big toes under.  I probably should have had orthotics done and gotten into good shoes. Not a fan of the heavy ugly orthopedic shoes---still have a little vanity -----but we will see. You would think since technology is what is now, I can find something acceptable.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wagirlOur feet do spread out as we age. In my 60's , I too went from a size 8 to 8 1/2. I have always had narrow heels and many times had to put those little adhesive pads in the heels of shoes so the heels would not slip. Now, over 70, add arthritis into the mix and I can no longer wear the "cute" shoes. No more high heels.

To accommodate arthritis in the joints of my big toes, Birkenstocks are my favorites. Clarks, Born and Easy Spirit are also some of my comfort shoes. Ryka are the most comfortable

for walking sneakers. They have toe room and a narrow heel, made for women's feet. Good luck in your search for comfort.

Honored Contributor

@Enufstuff ----yes,I have had all those brands of shoes that I wore for years successfully but  none feel good anymore--I get blisters from shoes I've worn that were so comfy before and  they are size 8 med. Wore size 7 in high school, then had babies and went to the size 8--- am not really surprised at any of this and know our getting older is the culprit for many annoying things---got my appt with the foot dr on Friday. should know what size my feet really are then---  thanks!!!!!