Super Contributor

Re: dress shoes in the heavy rain????

@BirkiLady -- My apologies!!!  I mistakenly thought you wrote the OP, not sure why I thought that.  No wonder why I was sort of confused reading the thread...because  I really was confused😕.  I'll  go back and edit my post.  Again, I'm so sorry for the mix up!

Too bad the weather is not cooperating but it sounds like you are well prepared to deal with it.  Hope you have a great time tonight!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DeniseColo  Thank you, Denise! I appreciate you comments. This is going to be a gorgeous wedding, I'm sure. Actually, my sister visited me about a week ago. She's so impressed with the organizational skills of her daughter and the groom, that she had time to go to another wedding! From what I understand they may give the Royals a run for their money, but they are a bit more traditional in their Episcopal service. I'm not that religion and am anxious to see the ceremony. My niece asked me to buy a long, navy gown. I did and it's gorgeous! We're having a great time in spite of the weather. We've spent so much time in FL over the years (mom owned a condo in Tampa), but this time of year is really different. Enjoy your long weekend. Smiley Happy

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

I live in Florida and wore dressy flats (so I could quickly walk from the car) to church this morning. I wiped them off in the ladies room with a paper towel. Everything worked out. 

Honored Contributor

@151949

At DSW I found a Ralph Lauren rain boot for ladies.

Tally Rain Boot

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I should have known better - what I thought would be a subject for light hearted discussion on this board just turns sour every time. 

Sometimes it is extremely difficult to tell when you are being lighthearted.

Valued Contributor

@151949 What were the other women wearing?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

You are originally from up north. Do what is done up here in the snow and ice. Keep a pair of old tennis shoes or a pair of boots (even those gardening boots for just your rain issues in the south) and wear them in, change in the 'cloak room and leave the boots where people hang jackets or coats. 

Not handy but it's how we get by up here.

States down here don't have cloak rooms or anywhere to put your things - you wear them or carry them because we don't need to wear many layers and most people don't own rain or snow boots. I grew up in California and now live in Texas and the only times I've ever seen a cloak room in use in either place has been at ballrooms where you check your coat. I only know the permanent ones exist because my mom is from Milwaukee and I used to see them when we visited family there.

Here, you can either change shoes and keep your shoes in a bag with you or just wear shoes that work indoors and out.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are so many cute rain boots out there at all pricepoints.  If you live in an area that's prone to rainstorms, they are a good investment.

A few years ago HSN had DKNY rubber rain ballet flats.  I bought a pair in black and they were cute as well as comfortable.  When they were on clearance, I bought hot pink (matches my hot pink raincoat) as well as grey.

Whenever I wear them, I receive compliments as well as inquiries as to wherever did I find these.

If I were in a warm climate and it was pouring rain, I'd wear my rubber flip flops, after all Jesus wore sandals. I really do not think anyone in church would care, stare or gossip about my footwear.

Honored Contributor

You have rec'd some great advice and I'm not sure why you are complaining about the thread going sour.  The only sour response was your own to @Mominohio.  Your post to her was rude and condescending, IMO.  Of course people in Florida need coats.  It's not warm there 365 days a year.  LOL  People in Florida wear boots as well.  Not snow boots but fashion boots and rain boots.  Geez.

2 weeks ago it was warm here and raining.  I wore a pair of leather thong sandals to church.  Yes my feet got wet but that wasn't a big deal to me.  Had their been ankle deep puddles, I would have figured something else out.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Cloak room? Jackets and coats? Honey, this is Florida we don't wear jackets and coats nor do we have a need for a cloak room. 

Oh yeah - boots - what are they?

Honey, people in Florida wear jackets and coats from time to time. I've been there in December and January, and I've seen kids waiting on the school bus with coats and hats on when it is in the 40's. 

I don't know who you think you are kidding, but people even in south Florida sometimes need jackets and coats, and have heard of rain boots. And I'm sure there is an area in your church where things like that and umbrellas are left to hang during services.