Honored Contributor

dress shoes in the heavy rain????

Going to church so I need dressier shoes , but it is raining heavily and I know the walk from the unpaved parking lot into the church will be a mass of puddles. Normally , for everyday, to walk in the rain I would just wear Keen sandals but can't wear them today.I'd hate to ruin a pair of good shoes - I don't trust espadrilles to not fall apart if they get wet. I finally dug deep in my shoe boxes and found a pair of very old Clarks I wouldn't be too broken up about if they were ruined.Not particularly attractive but ....

Honored Contributor

Re: dress shoes in the heavy rain????

You are originally from up north. Do what is done up here in the snow and ice. Keep a pair of old tennis shoes or a pair of boots (even those gardening boots for just your rain issues in the south) and wear them in, change in the 'cloak room and leave the boots where people hang jackets or coats. 

Not handy but it's how we get by up here.

Honored Contributor

Cloak room? Jackets and coats? Honey, this is Florida we don't wear jackets and coats nor do we have a need for a cloak room. 

Oh yeah - boots - what are they?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can't believe people who live in Florida don't own coats or boots.  Especially rain boots & jackets.   I go to Florida twice a year and always have to have a wrap, sweater or jacket of some sort.  And it rains there a lot.  Rain boots & jackets would come in handy.  

Anyway I agree - wear a rain boot or slip on sneaker and carry your dressy shoes.

Another handy item are fold-up ballet flats.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

You are correct!  People in Florida adapt to the weather just like people anywhere!  Some just love drama!

Honored Contributor

Nobody does "dressy" in the rain, even for church

Who are you trying to impress?   The other puddle jumpers?

There are plenty of very cute, appropriate weatherproof shoes/sandals available.

Better get some, hurricane season has begun.

Honored Contributor

Carry a handbag that is big enough to accommodate shoes, put the shoes in a plastic bag.  Wear your sneakers or any rain proof footwear to church and when you get inside, slip the sneakers off and put your dress shoes on.  Put the wet sneakers in the plastic bag and put them in your tote.  Do the reverse when you leave.  That;'s women have been doing....forever.  

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Cloak room? Jackets and coats? Honey, this is Florida we don't wear jackets and coats nor do we have a need for a cloak room. 

Oh yeah - boots - what are they?

I thought that too, even up north not every church has cloakroom so you go in and stand in a corner and switch shoes.  I takes all of 60 seconds.

Honored Contributor

The do.  FL is not heaven...lol   They get rain, they get cool days and they get cold nights.  FL has weather changes like everywhere else and they know how to dress for it.  Anyone who ever made the mistake ot only taking hot weather clothes on their  FL vacation can tell you what a mistake that is.  Yeah, I did that once.

Honored Contributor

Will the wrath of God come down upon you if you wear Keen sandals to church?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment