Esteemed Contributor

Re: clarks accordion heel clogs

@Leeny

My clark clogs (accordion heel) which fell apart today is dated April 2008. A few of my remaining Clarks accordion heel are 2008/2010. 

Respected Contributor

@kivah

Isn't it something a shoe that's less than 10 years old that looks like it has a lot of life left in them, ends up falling apart? I have other shoes that are a lot older than these and are still in good shape. It's unbelievable. 

Honored Contributor

@kivah 
You have got to be joking, you are complaining about a shoe that is 8-10 years old that is falling apart, I would say they owe you nothing. I am lucky if I get two seasons out of my shoes.

@kivah wrote:

@Leeny

My clark clogs (accordion heel) which fell apart today is dated April 2008. A few of my remaining Clarks accordion heel are 2008/2010. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox

The difference is that "I'm old" and have never seen leather shoes fall apart like Clarks and Born's. You wear shoes for 2 seasons and u think that OK? I have over 60 pairs of shoes so I don't wear the shoes a lot - and I take care of my shoes/clothes. Other than the clogs separating - they were perfect.

There are thousands of women complaining - - don't u read the reviews???

Esteemed Contributor

I think that there are several problems with comfort shoes that causes them to fall apart and it spans more than just Born or Clarks shoes.

Bad glue -- Clarks shoes was a topic of these QVC boards several years ago when Clarks shoes started to come apart as the upper separated from the sole.

Air injected molded EVA and rubber outsoles. The outsoles will start to rot when the the air breaks down. You'll notice outsoles start to crumble or split. I don't think it matters whether the shoe is kept in the shoe box or not or how much it's worn.

Footbeds and insoles that disintigrate. They can start peeling and if the insoles are laminated the layers can start to come apart.

I've had barely worn shoes disintigrate and well worn shoes split on the sole due to wear and tear. This has happened to shoes that I owned from Sofft, Born, Naturalizer, and Clarks. It's hit and miss as to what falls apart though. So take a magnifying glass to your shoes and give them an inspection to see if they are starting to disintigrate because they can't be fixed. It's better to toss them than have them fall apart on you when you are out and about.

You can tell how old Clarks shoes are as they have the month and year stamped inside the shoes, it's usually on the first line. For example 12/15 means that the shoes were made in December 2015.

Respected Contributor

@kivah wrote:

@I am still oxox

The difference is that "I'm old" and have never seen leather shoes fall apart like Clarks and Born's. You wear shoes for 2 seasons and u think that OK? I have over 60 pairs of shoes so I don't wear the shoes a lot - and I take care of my shoes/clothes. Other than the clogs separating - they were perfect.

@kivah  I am with you here. How would anyone feel if you had shoes that you wore very little and did not show any wear. Then put them on and have them practically fall apart in front of your eyes. Don't you think you would be upset too? Just because a shoe or a clog or whaterver is 5-10 years old and is still in the box doesn't mean they should fall apart like a shoe that was worn day in and day out and abused. I had several pair of these and had to get rid of them because of this problem. If you have shoes for 2 years and wear them out then that's one thing. How many ways can we tell people that this is not acceptible? 

Respected Contributor

@TY wrote:

I think that there are several problems with comfort shoes that causes them to fall apart and it spans more than just Born or Clarks shoes.

Bad glue -- Clarks shoes was a topic of these QVC boards several years ago when Clarks shoes started to come apart as the upper separated from the sole.

Air injected molded EVA and rubber outsoles. The outsoles will start to rot when the the air breaks down. You'll notice outsoles start to crumble or split. I don't think it matters whether the shoe is kept in the shoe box or not or how much it's worn.

Footbeds and insoles that disintigrate. They can start peeling and if the insoles are laminated the layers can start to come apart.

I've had barely worn shoes disintigrate and well worn shoes split on the sole due to wear and tear. This has happened to shoes that I owned from Sofft, Born, Naturalizer, and Clarks. It's hit and miss as to what falls apart though. So take a magnifying glass to your shoes and give them an inspection to see if they are starting to disintigrate because they can't be fixed. It's better to toss them than have them fall apart on you when you are out and about.

You can tell how old Clarks shoes are as they have the month and year stamped inside the shoes, it's usually on the first line. For example 12/15 means that the shoes were made in December 2015.

@TY 

Like I stated earlier the rep from Clarks said this happens due to NOT wearing the shoes enough and this causes rubber rot. Believe it or not, it's what he said. I too had never heard of that happening. All I know is they knew this was an issue, that is why clogs have pretty much disappeared from the Clarks line for quite sometime. Also the rep is the one who told me how to find the date. I still can't get over how a shoe can fall apart because you don't wear it enough??

Trusted Contributor

It is not just shoes.  Very little is made like it used to be.  Lots of things that are left unused do start to deteriorate.  Rubber tires, rubber bands lost in my desk drawer, gaskets in a car that is sitting in storage, clothes in proper storage bags left forgotten, etc.   I do have Clark's that get lots of loving wear and are about 7 years old.  After reading this I went and checked them.  They are fine.  I do have dress shoes in their boxes that I have not worn since I retired 4 years ago.  I will have to pull them out and check them..   I did find my wedding heels from 1962.  They had no rubber and where in good shape so they are in my donation box.  I have to many shoes and boots so will watch closely and not buy more.  I have lived through many style changes so I should be in good shape with shoes, purses and stylish outfits.  Now I just have to learn to listen to myself and shop from my closets.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Leeny wrote:

@kivah wrote:

@I am still oxox

@kivah  I am with you here. How would anyone feel if you had shoes that you wore very little and did not show any wear. Then put them on and have them practically fall apart in front of your eyes. Don't you think you would be upset too? Just because a shoe or a clog or whaterver is 5-10 years old and is still in the box doesn't mean they should fall apart like a shoe that was worn day in and day out and abused. I had several pair of these and had to get rid of them because of this problem. If you have shoes for 2 years and wear them out then that's one thing. How many ways can we tell people that this is not acceptible? 

@Leeny

Imagine being far away from home and ur shoe(s) separated. What are u to do. 5 of my 6 pairs of Clarks separated while I was home - and one pair separated at the dentist's office (fortunately it was only a 10 minute drive).