Honored Contributor

break in period for Mephisto sandals

just got my 1st pair.  seem hard on footbed so I'm only wearing on rug to walk around house.

how long will it take to "mold" to my foot.  they feel wide for my medium width foot.

any tips?  thank you!

713848E2-64B0-41D0-A447-B34D8316CD12.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

Re: break in period for Mephisto sandals

I bought that same style last summer. It was my 1st pair of this brand, as well. I never did break mine in. The footbed is hard. I thought they would feel similar to Birkenstocks, of which I own many pairs, but they don't, imo. The width feels fine for my medium-width foot. I don't have any tips, as I never wore them often enough to break them in. Just took them out of my closet; gonna give it another go & see what happens. Maybe we'll both get tips fom op! lol Good luck!

Honored Contributor

I soaked my picolinos in water for a couple of hrs ,and let them dry. The leather was much softer. I found this tip on the net and it worked for me

Honored Contributor

@cherry.  Of course if you soak and ruin them, you run the risk of being unable to return an expensive shoe.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

If they hurt so bad you can't wear them, what good are they?

Honored Contributor

@cherry 

so true!  I have a closet full of shoes (most from Q - Clark's, Vionics & Skechers😮).

these Mephisto are really giving me second thoughts!  I wore them today for a hour, still stiff.  I want to make sure my "foot imprint" isn't worn onto padding -- for sure they won't take back!

I'm making sure a few more days if not back they are going☹️

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have many pairs of Mephisto "Helen" sandals & have never had to "break them in".  I bought my 1st pair 14-15 years ago & they're still in great shape & very comfortable. They support my foot perfectly right out of the box like they were custom made for my feet.  The footbed is not soft, like some Birkenstocks are.  I can't wear Birks, because the footbed is just not right for my feet & the toe-bar grip thing hits right in the middle of my toes & Mephisto doesn't have that toe-bar.  I also can't wear Vionics, but I do have weird feet. 

You might contact Mephisto's CS & ask about if you need to break them in & how to go about it or they're just not right for you & you should return them.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

If they hurt so bad you can't wear them, what good are they?

@cherry.  They're worth whatever you paid for them if returned to the store undamaged.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Foot Smart dot com has all kinds of items to put under the ball of the foot for pain.

Honored Contributor

I have a few pairs of Mephisto Nolene. They didn’t require any break in at all. Comfortable right out of the box. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?