Valued Contributor

Re: Your thoughts on this handbag etiquette!

I hope she gets caught returning her used bag as new and I hope she's suitably embarrassed when she does. I was in Nordstrom's (well noted for their customer service) many many years ago when a woman came in demanding a refund on an infant layette item. No amount of speaking to this woman could convince her that the item she was returning was not purchased at Nordstrom's, that the brand was one they did not carry, but she stood her ground, held up the line while she fought and believe it or not, they eventually took that item back and based on what she said she paid, gave her a cash refund. The manager took the item and promptly deposited it in the trash receptacle behind the counter.

That type of lunacy is why we pay more than we need to for things we buy.

Maria

Valued Contributor

People return used merchandise to shopping networks all the time, so I guess it's not that surprising.

Honored Contributor

People return 'used' merchandise to stores all the time too... And unless it's glaringly used, most stores turn around and restock it as new...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

On 12/28/2014 Yahooey said:

Years and years ago a friend worked as a buyer in Bloomingdale's shoe dept. people returned worn shoes all the time. Not just a day of wearing but worn out worn and they took it back. Disgusting. I don't remember the reasons why they had to take the returns.

this still goes on......this would be so easy to do on qvc or hsn in particular!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

I once bought a Michael Kors bag from TJMaxx and put it away in my closet. About two weeks later I noticed the receipt and realized I had forgotten about it. I took it out and when I went to remove the paper stuffing I found $128 inside the outer pocket. I called the store and they connected me with the manager. She said no one had called about the money and thanked me for my honesty and said to keep it. She seemed much more concerned about the condition of the bag (looked perfect to me) and the fact that one of her cashiers must have taken back a used bag.

Honored Contributor

On 12/28/2014 BlingQueen022 said:
On 12/27/2014 tori said: More likely she was in the store anyway, saw the bag in a different color and decided to ask about exchanging. Not likely a scam. Customers do this kind of stuff every single day. I definitely agree that a manager should have been consulted assuming the OP was not a manager.
I agree with what you said, but if it was me, I surely wouldn't have suggested to the cashier what she suggested. I would have waited for another day and came back with an empty bag and my receipt to exchange it.

No reciept and we don't know where her bag came from. She saw our bag, liked it better, and wanted to trade!

Respected Contributor

Stores have spoiled people with their liberal return policies & now people that have the nerve to use it will ask anything of a store. I'm not a bit surprised that the woman assumed that since she wanted a different color purse that "you", meaning the store, would accept her return & give her what she wanted. And, regardless of your store's return policy your manager will probably take that purse back. If your return policy is within X amount of days & with a receipt & that is what you told this woman then that should be the end of it & she should be sent on her way by you & then by the manager, if she asks for one. I hated it when I would tell a customer our return policy & the nice ones thanked me & went on. The nervy heifers would demand to talk to the manager & the manager would not back me up. She would accept the ridiculous return & I would get a smirk from the person that got away with whatever it was that they wanted. No it was not my money. No it was not my product. I understand that. Still gets me all cranked up, though!

Honored Contributor

during college I worked part time in a fabric store; women would come in and buy silks, velvets, and our other very expensive fabrics and have bridesmaid dresses and other only-wear-once garments custom made. After the big event, they would bring in the garment with a small cut in it and demand a refund due to "flawed" fabric....some even brought in the leftover fabric wanting a refund....

Super Contributor

I think that with a handbag, as with clothing, one must try it on to see if it's a good fit. With a handbag that would mean putting all your stuff into it and maybe taking it out for a day.

Stores do not expect merchandise to be returned untouched and sealed up with tags on. The cost of perhaps having to throw a bag out or donate it is built in to their profit margin. The alternative is to become known as a store that is "picky" about returns and that turns off shoppers. I'm sure the woman is back there today with her bag empty and looking for an exchange. And I'm sure she'll get it. I don't quite understand sales assistants who act as if they are the company police.

ETA Remember the two key phrases of retail are "The customer is always right" and "Always leave them happy". Being tough on returns especially at Christmas has never been a good merchandising technique.

Super Contributor

People are something else. They want to return everything, no matter the condition. I had a woman who wanted to return a raincoat after wearing it for three years. She had it drycleaned and it bled so wanted to return it, with no tags or receipt. Pitched a big old fit yelling and wagging her finger in my face. She shut up real quick when I showed her the label..."Do Not Dryclean", lol.