Honored Contributor

Yikes...Ouch heel spurs & Plantiar Fasiutis (sp).

Since I've been back from Vegas - 5 days of walking in Vionics & Sketchers.  My heels are on fire & ouch to step out of bed😬😢😢

Went to podiatrist told me no more vionics -- worse shoes to wear - no heelsupport or arch support.  Impossible for every foot has same "arch".  Then Sketchers have no heel cup to keep heel from shifting.  

He gave me stretching excises and told me to buy tie style sneaksuch as New Balance,Avia or Nike's.  I hate sneaks butpain will go away i'll buy a pair.  In 2 weeks I go back if no relief  he'll give me shot in heel & get me orthotics.

Iwalk like I'm 100yearsold!!! OUCH☹️☹️

any suggestions on s other than the drs.?thanks!

Respected Contributor

Re: Yikes...Ouch heel spurs & Plantiar Fasiutis (sp).

Wow ! Your poor feet sound miserable 😩...

I have had the opposite experience with Vionics, 

my PF went away and never came back once I started wearing them ! 

Regular Visitor

Sorry to hear of your pain- I've had it, twice! It will go away but there are a few things you can do. Before getting out of bed in the morning, point your toes on each leg and trace all the letters of the alphabet with your toes-  then stretch your Achilles' tendons by pulling your toes toward your shins.  Never walk barefoot on hard surfaces - I always have slippers or shoes on. Twice a day, run the bottoms of your feet over a tennis ball or pop bottle to force blood flow to the area- really helps.  Also, ice packs on heels and soles cuts pain and inflammation. Helps healing. Advil helps too. I also bought a foot massager to increase blood flow and it also helps. Even with all this, it can take up to 3-6 months for relief -- I also rubbed Arnica on the bottoms of my feet before going to bed ( I did not have a cortisone shot) my PF and heel pain is now gone- hope this helps you!

Valued Contributor

The custom orthotics help so much.  I also have spurs and PF, and they give so much support.  I am not a sneaker person at all though, so I only wear them when I have a flare up.  It happens occassionally, but it was once so bad that I needed physical therapy.  Another helpful thing is to freeze a bottle of water and keep it in your freezer--roll it under your arches when you feel pain, and to prevent pain.

Honored Contributor

I'm so amazed at Skechers, they must have the greatest marketing people in the world because their shoes are overpriced c r a p.

Your doctor is right about the tie up sneakers

I highly recommend New Balance.

They are truly the best kind of casual shoe to wear if you have foot problems or to avoid foot problems

Walking on concrete is brutal, feel better soon.

Respected Contributor

I got PF after wearing Sketchers Go Walk shoes for a prolonged period of time (ironically, they felt so comfortable I forgot to take them off after a few hours during the break-in period). After suffering with it for a few months, I finally went to a podiatrist. He took X-rays and gave me a cortisone shot that cured it. It occasionally tries to flare up, but I stay on top of it. A friend recommended putting ice in an empty coffee can and rolling my foot on it - that helps a lot. ALL of my shoes and slippers now provide heel and arch support. I never go barefoot on hard surfaces. I used to wear 3 or 4 inch heels to work, but now I only wear heels/pumps for dressy occasions and the heels aren’t any higher than 2 inches. Clark’s and Rykas have worked very well for me. My Ryka sneakers are great. I have Clark’s flip flops that provide great support and are very comfie during our hot summers. I wore a pair of Clarks heels to a wedding in May. They’re gorgeous and my feet felt great! These shoes can be pricey, so I look for sales and coupons. I hope you lick this soon! 

Contributor

I found my solution in an online brand specifically for plantar fasciitis.

Kuru at kurufootwear.   They have a specially designed heel cup that takes the pressure off the fat pad on the bottom of your heel.  This is a revolutionary design and I have not seen any other shoe with this design. 

Ive gone from barely being able to hobble to pain free and able to wear regular shoes again, but I still go back to my kurus on days I am going to do a lot of walking or will be on my feet all day.  

I recommend starting with a lace up style.  I have a lot of vionics, but these are much different. The web site has a good video that shows why these work. 

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1

Worst shoes for my heel spurs and Achilles’ tendon spur: Vionics  and Skechers.  

Easy Spirit clogs have great support and accommodated the swelling from the Achilles’ tendon spur.  The liners come out and can be washed and air dried.  When they become too loose, they are demoted to bedroom slippers ( sometimes I add a second liner for better fit:  support is still there.  They range in price from $39 -  79 depending on style.

The stretches another poster mentioned parallel my PCP ‘s directions at my last physical.

Things will get better but it does take time:  damp weather can cause flare ups.  Advil works for them.

Good Luck 

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Thank you everyone for suggestions & replies!

Yesterday, I called dr. and he gave me shot ....OUCH...but I've been icing it as he instructed.

Today, I bought a pair of New Balance sneaks ...haven't tried them out...but gonna sure miss my Flipflops🙁.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Yikes...Ouch heel spurs & Plantar Fasciitus

Tuli heel cups may be helpful to keep your heels in place in some shoes, especially when you aren't wearing socks. I found them in a pharmacy but I think you can probably find them on amazon easier.

Image result for Tuli heel cups pinterest

Also if you are near a Walking Company shoe store, look at their Abeo brand of walking shoes and look at their insoles. I found that the metatarsal insoles which I bought separately work well for my feet. Those insoles have a metatarsal pad under the forefoot and the recommendation is to go a size down in those insoles for your shoes as those insoles aren't real flexible.

Similar to this pix from Pinterest:

Related image