Esteemed Contributor

I rarely wear out a pair of shoes though there has been a few over the years of course.

Mostly I would say my sneakers I wear to walk and work out but even those last me quite a while.  I have donated shoes hardly worn due to fhe fact that I most likely was guilty of impulse buying and never wore them.   I have had to dispose of a couple of pairs of Clarks sandals in the last couple of years, they lasted me about 10 years of constant wear during the summer season.........they literally fell apart, LOL!  They don't even sell that style anymore.

Respected Contributor

@PhilaLady1 

Recently I noticed my feet have really changed: shoes that were my stand by choice have now begun to hurt.  Time to donate and look for more supportive footbeds !

Someone else can get good use from these really good shoes!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

The only shoes I wear out are my workout shoes - I replace those frequently.  I am retired now so I don't have as many shoes as I used to.

Honored Contributor

Please have a little respect for those less fortunate than you.  Toss, don't donate, worn out shoes and clothing.  If you don't want to wear it, nobody else does either.  People deserve to get items that are serviceable and look decent.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@pprmntstx wrote:

Like many of you, I have a lot of shoes.  I wear each pair at some point during the year. I recently noticed that it's actually hard for me to wear out a pair.  What about you?

It has been made easy for me to throw away old shoes. As I talked to a Lady in the Drs office about a church sale she had gone to, she said she never buys shoes. I said ,well I wouldn't either, these shoes are at least 30 years old. As I looked down they were peeling off my feet. By the time I got home , the gabage can owned them and all my old shoes. Nothing last forever., even if they look good.

Honored Contributor

The shoes I don't wear as often definitely look new to almost new. I have a few pairs that I wear only a few times a year. They are at least 10 years old, but still look nice. My sneakers, which I wear a lot since retiring, usually last a year or two before they get worn out and tossed. When I was teaching, the shoes I wore to work needed replacing more often. 

Respected Contributor

I have so many pairs of shoes, that I never get to wear them out. So many of them are classics that I bought a few years ago, that they still look as if they are in style. Glad I purchased them when I did because  the new current shoes I look at now are so expensive in comparison.

Honored Contributor

Re: Worn out shoes

[ Edited ]

Worn out shoes has a different meaning to me.   In 2012 prior to my first knee surgery, I had about 22 pair of shoes; mostly Clark's and Naturalizer, suitable for wear in an administrative office.   I gave away ALL of those shoes after surgery and recovery, and started buying new shoes to protect my $50,000 investment.   

My second knee replacement was done in 2017, and the first shoes on my feet after surgery were new Brooks athletic shoes.  My feet have changed after these surgeries, and for me there is no such thing as shoes I've had for a long time.   My feet, legs, and hips let me know when my shoes are no longer giving me the firm support I need, so none of my frequent wear shoes are more than 2 years old.   The shoes I take to Union Mission still look brand new, but when I feel that ache or strain feeling in my feet and joints, I know they have to go.  

Right now I have 10 pair of shoes total, which is my self imposed shoe limit.  I had 12 pair two years ago, tossed 3 last year and only replaced one.   I just have no need for a lot of shoes with my quiet lifestyle.

Honored Contributor

Since I buy high quality shoes, usually the top looks tired before the sole.

I did have to throw out a pair of Fly London boots!  I had worn them for 3 years and actually had a hole appear in the heel on the bottom of the shoe!  Only I knew!, lol!!!

Honored Contributor

True for me also. I have a lot of footwear!

Different shoes for different pants, different occasions, dressy, casual, etc., etc.,

I don't have multi-purpose shoes.