Respected Contributor

Re: Why all the white soles?

Sandals are my weakness. I have several with white soles that I love and some that have a sole that matches the top of the sandal. I like having that option is my closet.  Both are worn very often. 

Respected Contributor

@depglass  I hate them too.  Besides the obvious lack of practicality, I think they make my feet look bigger!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I actually bought a pair yesterday.  One pair is enough though.

They have a bit of an athletic vibe.

Honored Contributor

I am not a fan either.  HSN has a presale for Steven Madden the colors that I like have white soles.  It would drive me nuts if I had marks on them and couldnt get them off.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

Or easier still - I just don't buy white soles. I do not like the look, especially with shoes that have dark tops.

@drizzellla  I’m assuming it makes them appear more casual like a sneaker since most clothes are so overly casual now.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

Or easier still - I just don't buy white soles. I do not like the look, especially with shoes that have dark tops.

@drizzellla  I’m assuming it makes them appear more casual like a sneaker since most clothes are so overly casual now.

Good point. 

Esteemed Contributor

I also prefer not white sole shoes and sandals especially. I dislike dirty looking white shoes and dirty looking soles on sandals and athletic shoes. I only have to compare two pairs of Skechers On the Go cross band sandals. The first pair had a white sole and looked beat up after wearing them for a week. They were too large so I don't wear them anymore. I bought a size down in the same sandals but this time I bought ones with black soles. I've been wearing them for more than a year and they look fine.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you so much for this thread!  I thought I must be the only person in the world who disliked all the white soles on shoes! So often during presentations for what seem to be cute shoes, the black is the only one with black soles.  And EVERY time, the host mentions that the dark sole (to match the upper, mind you) makes the shoe look a bit more dressy. Think about it,  very casual clothes (for instance  jogger pants and tee shirt) can look quite a bit more presentable and upscale wih the right shoe - and one that doesn't have a white sole!   I particularly have an issue with dark navy shoes with the white bottoms - REALLY?????  Why aren't they treated the same as the black. And don't get me started on how much it makes the shoes look bigger.  My feet are a size 8, and I think they make me look like I'm wearing gunboats, I can't imagine how someone with a size 10 or 11 feels when they put on that shoe.   I don't care if it's the "IN" thing or not, it looks awful on many many shoes being presented.  Sneakers, fine, but nice leather sandals?  Nope.

Can you tell this has been bothering me?  LOL!  Thanks for letting me rant!  :-)