Esteemed Contributor

Why I don't shop from amazon.ca or amazon.com

Why I don't shop from amazon.ca or amazon.com.

I bought a cute pair of Skechers athletic shoes in a size 8 from Winners in Canada for $49.99 but I didn't know the name of the style so I used google to search the serial number and color from the inside size label and the style is called Skechers Ultra Flex- Bright Future trainers in black and white with a white sole.

Of course google's image search showed the shoes available on amazon.ca for about $79 CDN to more than $218 CDN dollars. The U.S. amazon's prices aren't that much better -- more than $51 U.S. to more than $90 U.S. dollars.

Amazon is crazy if they think I'm going to fall for these absurd prices for Skechers shoes. I am better off buying from bricks and mortar stores. The Skechers shoes is just one example of the crazy prices I see when I am searching for clothes, shoes, and makeup.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Why I don't shop from amazon.ca or amazon.com

[ Edited ]

My personal experience is that I often find Amazon's prices to be the best for various things. Plus, I always buy things with free shipping and free returns. 

Esteemed Contributor

I treat Amazon the same way I treat any other retailer.  If there pricing is competitive, I shop there.  If not, I don't.  LM

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Amazon is a go to for me.  I always comparative shop...and usually Amazon wins.  Once in a while they will be higher, but that is not the norm.  The shipping is quick and the returns are free.  Seldom any problems, but if they arise it is quickly resolved.  I think your one time experience was an anomoly.

Honored Contributor

Oh I am 100% for buying local and supporting your local business first. But I will have to say that Amazon has the cheapest prices! 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

You're not buying from Amazon, you're buying through them.  All they have going for them is their Prime Membership, and now even that's gone to the dogs.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

That just means that yo don't understand that Amazon is platform where tens of thousands of companies sell their products.  You don't know how to shop Amazon and you seem to think that Amazon is all about getting cheap deals.  It isn't and no one ever said it was.  Amazon isn't Walmart but you can indeed get some great buys.   I love Amazon and shop all the time but there are times when I go elsewhere for something because I can get the same product for considerably less.   I shop with Amazon for many, many reasons.  I had two packages delivered yesterday but price isn't the main reason.  I'm pretty sure I could have found the wireless keyboard for less money but they wouldn't have delivered it to my home in less than 24 hours with free shipping.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rms1954 wrote:

You're not buying from Amazon, you're buying through them.  All they have going for them is their Prime Membership, and now even that's gone to the dogs.  

@rms1954 

Amazon buyers should stick to "Ships and Sold from Amazon.com"  for best results.

When you buy from, "third party sellers"  then you are buying through Amazon  and may not get  the best deal or service you want.

So look before you buy to make sure you are buying from Amazon  and not a third party.

p.s.

I have never had a problem with Amazon Prime and I have had it for many,many yrs   and I shop on Amazon every single day!

I'm sorry if you have had problems

Honored Contributor

A lot of things go into those prices including availability of the product vs the time of year the item is being bought.

Honored Contributor

Often I find absurd prices when an item has been discontinued and the seller is banking on the desire to get that item since it is no longer available.