Esteemed Contributor

Re: White sneakers height of fashion???

I bought some today. 

66DF9AEF-E3DB-4F5A-8501-896212C3A296.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

Well who knew I am in fashion with white sneakers!  I have never been without white sneakers since I was a kid and that was many many years ago. I have had just about every brand but it started with Keds. Two pairs of white Rebock and Ryka in closet right now.  Only white shoes I ever wear.  

Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

Casual, comfortable shoes - great!

White sneakers? Mmmmmmm. Nope

When I was working, I traveled a lot and consequently got travel tips and updates from the US State Department regularly. One thing that was mentioned consistently was to avoid wearing white sneakers/athletic shoes when traveling abroad as that practically screamed "I'm an American!". I've worn dark athletic shoes ever since. 

@FrostyBabe1 

We must have read the same memo!

I never wear white sneakers out of the US, wear leather walking shoes instead.

But here at home, they are always in style for me.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

I don't own white sneakers but I really don't care whether others do or don't wear them; it's the entire outfit that QVC is featuring as indicative of the trend.  The only place I could think of anyone wearing this would be in a church (or other religious setting).  That's a lot of covering up of all visible bits and pieces of the model.  I think it's time to hire (or retrain) photo stylists.

Respected Contributor

I mostly see senior citizens wearing white sneakers.

Honored Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

I mostly see senior citizens wearing white sneakers.

@insomniac2   Yeah.....when my ma was in her 90's, she insisted on white LEATHER sneakers (Macy's did sell them).   

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I have a lot of sneakers, but none of them are white. Most are leather (orange, tan, black, brown, gray, wine, red)with white soles. Three pairs are suede in white, brown, and black. Canvas sneaks are two pairs hi-tops and stripes- navy/white and tan/white. Others are usual low cut canvas in chambray, tan, orange.

Then, there’s my collection of LandsEnd Gatas. Some are solid colors, but majority are prints.

All of them are from LandsEnd- whenever there’s a sale I buy every color in my size. Some of them date back more than 20 years.

We do a lot walking in NYC....
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi

Around here (NYC), black is the choice for many of my fellow senior citizens .

Not long ago I was at a workshop for “personal safety instruction” and every single one of us was wearing black leather sneakers with white soles.

NYC living means a lot of walking and the City streets are too dirty here for white footwear.
Honored Contributor

I am all for white sneakers!  

I bought one pair of black sneakers with hot pink piping or some adornment and although cute, did not like they way they looked.  Seemed to shorten my leg/calf kinda look.  I guess the same way they say to wear *nude* shoes to lengthen your leg?  Since I live in black knee length capris 10 months a year (have a pair on now!) I don't want a chopped leg look.

I don't care for the style of the ones shown on the model.  Don't want to look like the cafeteria lady, either.

Regular Contributor

White sneakers are definitely "in" right now. My 20 year old daughter spent the semester in Spain in the Fall and she wore her white Addidas every day! She said everyone wore them. When I visited in December she was right on - all the younger adults and kids were wearing white sneakers. I noticed the older people didn't - they wore regular shoes. Now that she is back in school here in the States. she continues to wear them.  Not in style are the clunky grandpa - looking walking sneakers. Only the ones with a flat sole like Stan Smiths.