Honored Contributor

Does the weight of the bag itself concern you? If you love the style but it's heavy, will you buy it and scale down what's inside? What brands do you avoid because of weight?

Valued Contributor

Re: When you buy a handbag...

I won't carry a heavy bag. I have a few leather bags that just sit in my closet. I now carry very light Bagalini's. It's not that I an unable to carry a heavy bag, I just don't like to. I feel the same way about clothes and even coats which is why I like down coats. Come to think of it, I am the same way with my bedding and my jewelry too.
Honored Contributor

I hate a heavy bag, and have not been using my 2 D&B bags, or my Tignanello bag for that specific reason. Now that I'm retired, I carry very little in my handbags, and at times carry only a zippered clutch or wristlet.

Esteemed Contributor

I always look for something that is light, that includes suitcases when I travel. I carry around enough stuff, I don't need the weight to be in the bag.

My most favorite bag is some sort of tote if I carry a bag at all. I prefer vests with pockets.

Frequent Contributor

Because I tend to not carry much in my bags, weight is not as important to me as overall comfort; I mostly use shoulder bags so it has to be comfortable as far as how it hangs, where it falls(strap drop)if it stays on the shoulder or slides off (terrible!), if it's stiff or squooshy, etc. If the bag is otherwise very comfortable I don't mind some extra weight.

Super Contributor

I carry cross bodies so weight has never been a concern.
Contributor

I have never really paid much attention to the weight of my purses. If I like it, I buy and carry it. If I'm doing a lot of walking, I tend to carry a cross body. I might feel differently if I didn't drive every where. I do concern myself with the weight of my coats. Heavy coats, while warm, hurt my back. I love my down coats and so happy that they have become more fashionable.

Super Contributor

Weight is definitely a factor. I have to carry a lot of stuff - want the lightest weight bag I can find.

That's the reason I rarely buy anything made of leather.

Honored Contributor

In the colder months I don't mind a heavier handbag, but when it's warm, the lighter the better. Generally, I don't choose a leather handbag in the summer.

Honored Contributor

I suppose it depends on what I consider heavy. I've always heard that Dooney bags are often heavy, but I've never really noticed that. I prefer crossbody straps, so maybe that's why I don't notice the weight so much. Honestly, as long as it fits all my stuff. the weight isn't really an issue for me.