Frequent Contributor

When is worn really worn out?

I have a pair of shoes that I really like, but are wearing out.  I was going to wear them a few more times and then throw them out.  Well, I've worn them a few more times but I can't bring myself to throw them out.  Maybe if they literally fall off my feet.  When do you say goodby to your shoes?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: When is worn really worn out?

When they hurt, are no longer comfortable, look old and tattered or I just can't stand them anymore. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Maineblueberries : I hear you about favorite shoes! It's hard to let go..

As the previous poster said about comfort and support. Use your phone and take some pics of the shoes. That may convince you from another angle that they are too beat up to wear, or perhaps a good cleaning or a good shoemaker ( a few are still around) might give them a little more life.

I rarely wear out shoes as I have so many in rotation.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A good sign you need to pitch them might be when others start offering to buy you a new pair.  Lol.  

Why do you like them so much...the style, comfort?  I wonder if there are good memories attached.

Someone suggested taking a photo of everything we love that are no longer useful to us.  Sounds like a good idea.  

Honored Contributor

@Maineblueberries   I would say when you no longer wear them.

Honored Contributor

Sadielee - YES!  If the shoe is comfortable and the leather is still completely attached, I tend to wear the shoes past "their expiration date".

I had a pair of excellent quality walking shoes. I used them to walk the dog, garden and do things around the house. I remember buying them and knew it was many years ago. But they were so comfortable and well made, I just kept wearing them. Every few months I would think it is time to toss them but I never could.

What made them go in the trash was one day, I walked the dog in the pouring rain. My foot got wet. So away the shoes went, and fortunately it was trash day so no changing my mind. It is a shame that not one pair of shoes that I currently wear are as comfortable or the leather is as nice and the shoes I threw out.

Valued Contributor

When they fall off while your walking, that is the only sign you need.  Take pictures or cut swatches to put in a special place to remember your much loved shoes!

Respected Contributor

Years ago when a nail/tack poked up in the heel of my favorite loafers, I knew it was time to say goodbye.

Honored Contributor

Depends on the quality of the shoe.

Take it to shoe repair and ask if they can be saved

When I wore heels at work, many years ago, I would often take shoes to be re-soled or to have the heel tips replaced.

I have a pair of Clarks now, they need to be re-soled, I'm debating whether or not to have it done, or to just donate.

@Maineblueberries wrote:

I have a pair of shoes that I really like, but are wearing out.  I was going to wear them a few more times and then throw them out.  Well, I've worn them a few more times but I can't bring myself to throw them out.  Maybe if they literally fall off my feet.  When do you say goodby to your shoes?

Respected Contributor

Sometimes I keep a worn shoe to wear in inclement weather, so I don't ruin nicer ones.  After a season of that, I will toss it.  I know how you feel.  I've helf on to some shoes way too long.  I try not to do that anymore.