Esteemed Contributor

Re: When is worn really worn out?

@Maineblueberries wrote:

I have a pair of shoes that I really like, but are wearing out.  I was going to wear them a few more times and then throw them out.  Well, I've worn them a few more times but I can't bring myself to throw them out.  Maybe if they literally fall off my feet.  When do you say goodby to your shoes?

I also have a problem throwing things out (everything). Last month I tossed out a pair of Rockport green suede shoes that I had for 12 years. They still looked good -- but it's time was up. Mostly, because I have NO room in my closet left for shoes (over-stocked). Yesterday I tossed out a long white t-shirt with embroidery from the West Indies that a neighbor gave me around 9 years ago. It feels so good to get rid of stuff -- which I rarely do. Wish I could expand my large customized walk-in closet.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are 2 pair of shoes on the top shelf of my walk-in closet that I haven't worn in 18 years. One pair has a high wedge and the other pair has wide heels, approx. 2-1/2". Both bought from the Q and they're in perfect condition. I now wear lower heels. I also put several pairs of Clark's Clogs with the higher heel on the floor of my clothing closet - haven't worn them in quite a while. I have a pair of black leather Naturalizer shoes that I purchased in 1995 - they're also in the clothing closet. 

Lastly, I have a pair of black galoshes (that u wear over shoes) when it rains. Purchased in New York in 1963. I've been living in California since 1966 --- and I last wore them in 1993.It was a rainy day and wore them to work. Haven't worn them since ---- as it never rains in southern California.

My shoe shopping days are OVER!!!!

Honored Contributor

When they fall apart.  I've had soles peel away or crumble on a number of pairs of brand name shoes.  

For worn down heels and soles - I have them repaired.  

Contributor

I tend to wear my shoes "into the ground".  If I haven't worn some of them anymore and they are in like new condition, I will donate them.

Valued Contributor

There is no longer a shoe cobbler here, so I have to throw them out unless I can fix them myself.

Frequent Contributor

Good to know I'mnot the only one that has trouble getting rid of shoes!

Contributor

@Maineblueberries  You have many good suggestions here!  I, too, struggle with getting rid of favorite shoes.  I always have!  Good luck toyou!

Honored Contributor

At the church service portion of a funeral wearing my go to 3 inch black pumps.  I felt my toes go a bit flatter to the ground and thought I could even feel the carpet.  I finished my conversation with and elderly gentleman and moved carefully away and noticed a small portion of my shoe did not come with me.  It was raining out so that just took care of the shoes.  I finished the service but did not go to the cemetery in the rain.  Ditched those shoes I so loved.  By the time I could trash them more portions had fallen from the bottom of the damp shoes.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I have new knees at a cost of $50,000, and built a new, smaller shoe wardrobe after the first surgery.

Getting new knees has changed my feet to where I definitely notice, in the form of aches and pains, when my feet are no longer happy in my shoes. I listen to my feet and toss, or re-home those shoes.

After all I've gone thru to get pain free knees, there's no way I'm going to set myself up for more pain by wearing shoes that are no longer providing the best support for my feet. Shoes I wear daily get tossed yearly. Shoes I wear often, are tossed within 2 years. Since I don't work, and live a very quiet, uneventful lifestyle, I keep my shoe collection to about 10 pair now.
Valued Contributor

I'm trying to stretch a pair of barely worn shoes.  If I can't I will donate them.