Contributor

What the heck is "Man-made Leather"???

I know, I know, I'm picking nits! But I so resent Jane, the shoe expert, using that phrase to describe a pair of boots just a few minutes ago.

There are "Man-made Materials" and "Genuine Leather," usually imprinted somewhere on a shoe. Are we to assume Jane doesn't know the difference? Please...her turn of phrase, I am convinced, can confuse the buyer (deliberately, I suspect). THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS MAN-MADE LEATHER, and Jane knows it.

If trying to get all the promo info out causes this type of mis-information, maybe Jane could just slow down, come up for oxygen every now and then, discard the anecdotes and say less, but more accurately.

Trusted Contributor

Re: What the heck is ""Man-made Leather""???

Maybe she makes a cow

Respected Contributor

Jane said the right thing, walked into one of those mega mall shoe stores and the "leather" boots all said "man made leather" so I guess if it's written on the box, it's true and can be said.

Super Contributor

Why don't they say cheap imitation stuff with a price tag close to real leather.

Super Contributor

pleather! Fake! Imitation. Dont buy vinyl, yuk!

Super Contributor

Its like Chrissie Hynde from The Pretenders sings "by the way, you look fantastic, in your boots of Chinese plastic". Myself, I call man made leather vinyl and I can't believe some of the prices they charge for purses and shoes made of it.
Respected Contributor

Euphemisms are often used to avoid the brutal truth. Can you say Diamonique? Bronzo Italia?
Super Contributor

I prefer the use of faux leather although I DO NOT purchase faux leather shoes. I can deal with fabric shoes in the summer and plastic rain boots or flip flops for the pool or beach. I suppose the term ""man made"" is being used for all non leather materials although fabric is sometimes natural as in linen or cotton.
Honored Contributor

We used to call it Naugahide. (sp). I had an entire couch made of it. Everyone thought it was leather.

Now I have two huge real leather couches. They look just like the Naugahide couch I used to have.

I can't wear fake leather. I get so hot in it I have to take it off within 15 minutes.

Valued Contributor

What the heck is ""Man-made Leather?

That would be PLASTIC.