Respected Contributor

Re: What Shoes Do You Wear For Plantar Fasciitis?

[ Edited ]

Your friend can either buy shoes or buy orthotics insoles that go in most shoes. I recommend both. The good orthotic insoles aren't cheap. I went to a podiatrist last time I had PF and he gave me a prescription for orthotics from a speciality shoe store. They weren't custom, so they were under $50. The prescription allows me to buy them tax-free for as long as the prescription is valid - a one year period in my area. They are NOT the same as the insoles you can buy at the grocery store. 

I wear a combination of Vionic shoes and shoes with my prescription orthotics placed inside. Because the orthotics are expensive, I don't have many and the ones I do have must be transferd from one pair of shoes to the next when I want to wear different shoes. That's a pain, especially if I'm running late. Vionics are fantastic because the built-in orthotic works for my PF and it means I can wear the out of the box or closet without having to insert or remove anything first.

So I recommend any pair of Vionics she likes AND good orthotics that can be placed in any pair of shoes with a removeable insole for the most options. My orthotics were prescription, but they're available at the speciality shoe store without a prescription - you just don't get the tax savings. Your friend can probably go to a specialty shoe store in the area and ask them for a good orthotic for PF.

Vionic also sells their orthotic insoles as stand-alone purchases you can get and put in any pair of shoes.

Honored Contributor

My doctor took one look at the shoes I was wearing and she said my PF problem was caused by wearing shoes with minimal padding between my feet and the sidewalk.  My heels were taking a pounding with every step I took!

At the time, she recommended Aerosoles similar to what she was wearing.  I'm careful that the shoes I buy have substantial soles and heels and almost always add foam heel pads to my shoes.  

So far so good.  I haven't had a problem since that initial PF issue about 15 years ago.

Respected Contributor

@Alison Wonderland  Yes to all you wrote.  I have it so bad that I had to have surgery last year to alleviate the intense pain.

Surgery was a huge success, but I ALWAYS now have a custom insert in all my shoes, and only wear Vionic Tide sandals and Vionic slippers.  On the occasion that I want to wear normal shoes, I still do, but I can really feel the difference later in the day.

The custom inserts are expensive, I paid $400 since insurance wouldn't cover them.  However, they would cover cortisone shots in my heels every few month, but not inserts - go figure. 

If you get Vionics, make sure they are the ones with good strong arch support.  I found that most of their shoes don't have the same support that the Tide sandals do.  They seem a little off when you wear them for the first time, but once my arch got used to having it raised and in in the proper place, they are now very comfortable and I don't notice any pain from the arch when wearing them all day. 

Best of luck, it can be excruciating - especially if you are on your feet most of the day.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

When I had it, I found that Clark’s sandals with the Lexie sole really helped. For me, arch support and cushioning were key, regardless of the type of shoe. Good luck to your friend! 

Super Contributor

I have found Dansko shoes to be good.  They have the support I needed.  I wore Danskos exclusively for 2 years.  I could not wear any other shoe without severe pain.  When I tried on my first pair of Dansko shoes, I thought they would never work, but they really did.  Because of them, I can now wear other shoes.  Whenever I feel some discomfort in my feet, I go back to the Danskos.  

Respected Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@Alison Wonderland  Yes to all you wrote.  I have it so bad that I had to have surgery last year to alleviate the intense pain.

Surgery was a huge success, but I ALWAYS now have a custom insert in all my shoes, and only wear Vionic Tide sandals and Vionic slippers.  On the occasion that I want to wear normal shoes, I still do, but I can really feel the difference later in the day.

The custom inserts are expensive, I paid $400 since insurance wouldn't cover them.  However, they would cover cortisone shots in my heels every few month, but not inserts - go figure. 

If you get Vionics, make sure they are the ones with good strong arch support.  I found that most of their shoes don't have the same support that the Tide sandals do.  They seem a little off when you wear them for the first time, but once my arch got used to having it raised and in in the proper place, they are now very comfortable and I don't notice any pain from the arch when wearing them all day. 

Best of luck, it can be excruciating - especially if you are on your feet most of the day.

I forgot about slippers, @CAcableGirl2! I did not go barefoot at all while my PF was bad. In the winter, I wore Vionic slippers. My old slippers, which I adored, had no support and were only $25. I almost died when I spent $65 on slippers, but I'm so glad I did. In the summer, I wear Vionic Tides around the house.

My podiatrist also told me not to wear Skechers Go Walk shoes. He picked one up and twisted it like a DNA double helix and told me I needed shoes with more support. That made me so sad, but I've been pain-free for over 2 years now, so it was worth it.

Valued Contributor

Hello,  hope your friend feels better soon, PF is no fun at all.  My orthopedist suggested something with good arch support and cushioning (Birkies were out at "my age" she said LOL).  My lifesavers were NAOT shoes- put them on an the pain vanished, literally..  She also recommended Dansko and Spenco but they are not as cushy.  I wear all three brands exclusively now.  Just tried a FLY London shoe when it went on a One Day only price.  Too soon to tell but that shoe seems to have very good support as well although the footbed is hard.

Once you know your size you can get great deals for Dansko on ebay too.  The NAOTS are wonderful shoes, really my all time favorites but I can never get them on sale.  I live in my Spenco slippers at home- at least they are less expensive.

Super Contributor

Crocs are the best for PF. Even keep a pair by my bed so I can step into them as soon as I get up.

Trusted Contributor

Your friend needs to look at all the suggestions here.  I find Dansko and BIrkis were the best.  VIonic's were too short for my foot and the larger size were too large.  Basically - find a good supportive shoe that fits and feels well and go with it. 

Outside that, stretch, stretch, stretch...use a towel around the top of your foot, lay on your back leg straight up in the air and  pull down like you're going to have your toes touch your leg.  You need to stretch like that before you get up when you're still in bed and every time you think of it, stretch again!

Hope you're feeling better.  I suffered with PF for 2 years,   it's just terrible.  Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

Last week I received 5 pairs of Rykas (walking shoes) from Zappos: 3 pairs of Devotion Plus ($80 each) and 2 pairs of Skywalk ($65 each) ---- fantastic. I have almost perfect feet and no foot problems, but I wear size 7 wide. The wide for these shoes is D - just a bit wide for me --- but I tighten the laces. Sooooo comfortable. All different color palettes. If u know which style fits u - u can go to their outlet - 6PM dot com - and buy Rykas for less money. Rykas run a little small so u may need to go up 1/2 size. Like walking on a coud.

I actually tossed out my white leather Rykas which I purchased from QVC in 2003.