Honored Contributor

What Shoes Do You Wear For Plantar Fasciitis?

[ Edited ]

I have a lovely friend with PF who would like some help in picking out a shoe for casual wear if you would share your experience.

In my online reading, it seems if you have PF you need a shoe with support around the heel if I am correct.

Thank you.

Respected Contributor

Re: What Shoes Do You Wear For Plantar Fasciitis?

[ Edited ]

No you don't necessarily need something with a heel. However, you do need something with good support plus wearing an insole such as Dr. Scholl's is beneficial. Also you must wear shoes at all time even in the house. No flipflops, no slippers or backless shoes. One exception to the slipper suggestion is to wear slippers with support. Bearpaw makes a great pair that are almost like shoes. Tennis shoes are probably the best shoe to wear when suffering from PF. Heels are the worst thing to wear. If the pain doesn't ease up, an injection can help alleviate the pain.

Respected Contributor

I had it really bad in my right foot and I tried several shoes.  In the end the only shoe that I could walk in was Crocs.  Not the original style, but you can find better styles at Zappos or Shoes dot com.  I know they're not pretty, but you do what you gotta do.  Now I'm wearing Ryka devotion which has some arch support and are really cushy on the bottom.    I tried Vionic, but the arch was very uncomfortable.

Regular Contributor

I've had it in the past and you need a shoe with good support in the arch and heel.  I got a pair of Vionic slippers to wear in the house that were a godsend.   I used Orthafeet quite a bit.

Super Contributor

@ECBG

i had last couple years. thing dr. recommended and i tried was an excersize and a special boot you wear to bed that keeps foot stable and stretches that muscle.

i dreaded trying the boot but finally did after a long time and was amazed that just wearing a couple times almost cured it! what a difference.

also stand like you are pushing against a wall and bend ankle forward to stretch that muscle from ankle to shin. do this daily, it helps.

how do people get used to those Vionics?? the arch is like a hard rod in your foot.

i have a pair but cant see how people even wear them??

i found fake crocs only thing i could wear all day too!

Honored Contributor

I Had PF twice.  The first time I figured that I needed shoes with good arch support.  This was around 15 years ago and I bought Birkenstocks.  I had closed shoes (not clogs) that I wore everyday.  They weren' the most attractive but after a few months my PF went away.  I bought Birks sandals and wore them all summer.  

After a few years I became lax and stopped with the arch support.  The PF came back.  Then I bought Orthaheels (now Vionics) and they really helped me a lot.  Eventually the PF went away again and now I only wear shoes with arch support.  

Vionics, some Earth shoes and Alegrias offer arch support and there are several other brands that do too no offered at the Q.

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe your friend could see if there is a Walking Company store in her area and stop in to look and try on shoes as some shoes have removable insoles and their shoe brand Abeo you can buy orthotic type insoles too.

Valued Contributor

My orthopedic doctor told me to get Ecco's.  I have worn them (dress and sandals) for about 18 years.

Honored Contributor

I have had plantar fascititis three times. After the second time, which was five years ago, I discovered Vionic styles. They are great and I highly recommend them! Good luck!

Respected Contributor

Mostly Birkenstocks and Ecco sandals. For my daily walk, I wear Saucony walking shoes.