Honored Contributor

Re: What!!! Lisa's G.I.L.I. haircalf hobo just went way UP in price...

I love handbags, but I absolutely abhore haircalf. The style is ok but we were saturated with Hobo style bags with BMax so I'm not tempted by the style. Do I think it's worth the money, no I don't. What do I think of the Q upping the price on something that was lower at one time... NOT a good idea.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

On 1/9/2015 kahootz said:

I'm not knocking the bag, but it was pretty pricey to begin with and some reviews say the calf hair was coming off. So in light of that, and the fact that it didn't sell out by now, you would think it would be reduced in price. Instead they increased it by $82. That is a BIG increase! I think someone was right in there post here that said they are maybe jacking up the price only to add it on clearance later - that way it looks like you are getting a great deal. I don't like these games!! The original price never said "introductory." I'll bet the video showing the original price of $577 disappears soon.

The video will be there, but the banner showing the price will be removed. That is also happening a lot.

Super Contributor

On 1/9/2015 Favorite Son said:
On 1/9/2015 kahootz said:

I'm not knocking the bag, but it was pretty pricey to begin with and some reviews say the calf hair was coming off. So in light of that, and the fact that it didn't sell out by now, you would think it would be reduced in price. Instead they increased it by $82. That is a BIG increase! I think someone was right in there post here that said they are maybe jacking up the price only to add it on clearance later - that way it looks like you are getting a great deal. I don't like these games!! The original price never said "introductory." I'll bet the video showing the original price of $577 disappears soon.

The video will be there, but the banner showing the price will be removed. That is also happening a lot.

Yep, you will probably be right. This all just seems VERY disingenuous to me.

Super Contributor

On 1/9/2015 SUHSE39 said: If I loved the bag and felt the quality was there, it wouldn't bother me that it was a no name brand. Does anyone want to pay extra, just for a name? We always get posts from people saying they want minimal hardware, and would never carry a bag with signature fabric, etc. Not really my taste, but it looks like a nice bag, and hair calf (which has nothing to do with a calf), is expensive, again, not really my taste.

I totally agree with you. It doesn't bother me that it doesn't have a major brand name stamped on it somewhere - and the bag really isn't my style either. I was curious though if the price would eventually drop now that Lisa is no longer with QVC, so was pretty shocked when they actually increased the price!

Valued Contributor

On Shawn's show today she said that GILI line is inspired by European designs. And I think she mentioned that new items (handbags) will be presented this year. No mentioning of Lisa.
Super Contributor

What exactly is haircalf? Is it exactly as the name implies?
Super Contributor

I wouldn't pay $6.59 for that
Esteemed Contributor

Those G.I.L.I. bags look very generic. I wouldn't be surprised if QVC which owns the G.I.L.I. line has those bags made by Li & Fung -- the company that owns B. Makowsky, KVZ, and Tignanello. I believe Li & Fung also manufactures the Isaac Mizrahi bags for Xcel brands as well after doing some google research.

Those QVC web site roller coaster prices are crazy too.

Honored Contributor

On 1/9/2015 SUHSE39 said: If I loved the bag and felt the quality was there, it wouldn't bother me that it was a no name brand. Does anyone want to pay extra, just for a name? We always get posts from people saying they want minimal hardware, and would never carry a bag with signature fabric, etc. Not really my taste, but it looks like a nice bag, and hair calf (which has nothing to do with a calf), is expensive, again, not really my taste.

suhse i am with you......if it is well made, looks good, fills my handbag needs, and is a quality product i dont care whose name is on it. i am not going to buy an "okay" coach or brahmin if i find the quality gili (or any other brand) handbag to be exceptional.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

On 1/9/2015 lory said: What exactly is haircalf? Is it exactly as the name implies?
It is the reverse side of leather without the hair removed. It has nothing to do with a calf or a pony at all as some have mistakenly reported. It's a texture that many people do not like. But then again, obviously many people do. Choices.