Honored Contributor

When I used to wear white sneakers I washed them frequently in the washing machine.

Honored Contributor

the only thing I would say about washing shoes in the washer is, I have to kind of pre treat them--I scrub the soles and around the outside bottom of the shoe as well as over the top with a toothbrush---otherwise the dirt and gunk is in your washer and the shoes still look dirty. I do my Clarks flip flops in the washer and I need to do the same thing.

Honored Contributor

@grandma r wrote:

@Georgiagrama. I've been washing sneakers for ages.  Put them in the machine and dry them in the sun.  To me, this is just a new gimmick to sell more shoes.   I wash all of mine, except leather, and they come out just fine.  And, yes, I do make sure the insoles are positioned correctly before they dry.

@grandma r @I've bought leather shoes from Propet that are washable. They always came out looking like new. 

Honored Contributor

There's a sign posted in our laudry room  SO NOT PUT SNEAKERS IN WASHING MACHINE.

Honored Contributor

@wagirl   I agree about "cleaning" the shoes before putting them into a washer.  Yuck, otherwise!

@ALRATIBA   I don't blame them for not allowing sneakers in the washing machine.  Can't imagine the gunk that might be left behind from city streets.

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 

Easy to wash them by hand in the bathroom sink ... nail brush and some detergent - hang over tub to dry.

Has always worked for me.  (I buy my sneakers from LandsEnd.)

Respected Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

I remember when I first heard about the sketcher washable shoes last year. I thought the same thing. I wash all of my tennis shoes including sketches. I place them in the washing machine for washing, and I let them air dry. 

@icezeus   I do the same thing. I've still got my first pair that my daughter gave me 4 years ago.  They've been washed and air dried many times.

Honored Contributor

Nothing makes them different.  I've been washing all my sneakers since I was a teenager.  I do think most of the "washable" Sketchers  are not canvass.  They are other synthetic fabrications that makes them lighter and stretchier so they dry much quicker. 

Esteemed Contributor

I like being able to wash my sketchers.  I have around 14 pair.  I find them very comfortable.  

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

As I grew up, my family washed sneakers in the washing machine and hung them up to dry on the line by the tongue with a clothes pin. We never had a problem with them.  

I personally have even washed leather shoes.  If they get so dirty and unwearable, instead of tossing them out, I hand rinse them first and toss them in the washer.  I have never had a pair that got ruined.

I wish some people would wash their shoes and their feet more often.  It's so gross when they take their shoes off and the room clears out.  They need to wear socks too and change them every day.