Honored Contributor

Re: WHY DO WOMEN WEAR SHOES THAT DON'T FIT?

@Qshopper1991 wrote:

@suzyQ3

Never heard of feet issues (bunions, corns, hammer toes) being a genetic problem.  I always thought it was because of women abusing their feet

@Qshopper1991, from Harvard Health:

Shoes with narrow toes can trigger a bunion, but they're not the underlying cause. Bunions run in families, because foot type (shape and structure) is hereditary, and some types are more prone to bunions than others. Low arches, flat feet, and loose joints and tendons all increase the risk.

And from WebMD:

Nov. 11, 2010 (Atlanta) -- If one of your parents has bunions or high-arched feet, there's a good chance you may inherit the foot problem.

That's according to new findings from researchers who examined more than 6,000 feet as part of the Framingham Foot Study. The findings were presented here at the 2010 American College of Rheumatology Annual Scientific Meeting.

"Foot disorders have high heritability," says study head Marian T. Hannan, DSc, MPH, associate professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School.

Of course these conditions can be exacerbated by other factors. But for example, my multiple foot problems were evident early on. I never wore abusive shoes yet have endured four foot surgeries since 2010.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

I wore a pair of multi colored platforms in the early 70's that were a size too smal because I LOVED them and they didn't have my size........LOL

I even danced in them....don't know how I did it.....

Trusted Contributor

@catlover

Do you have bunions and/or corns?  Then you will know why.

Honored Contributor

@EatWell wrote:

@catlover

Do you have bunions and/or corns?  Then you will know why.

@EatWell, My family owned the largest fine shoe store here for years, from 1925-1975.  Many bunions come from the way the bones in the foot is constructed as well as the style (not necessarily the fit) that a person wears.

If I had worn a larger heel teaching, it would have litterally dropped off of me.  As it turned out, where the heel added pressure onto the sides of the foot was wrong for me and I developed a bunion.  It is pressure against the bone that develops the bunion which is that bone trying to protect itself.