Respected Contributor

Velcro Straps - Love or Hate!

[ Edited ]

I have this thing about Velcro straps on any kind of shoe really.

I feel they cheapen the shoe even the expensive ones.

I hate when the ends curl up although leather straps can do the same thing. I would rather see a buckle.

I have bought many that have already done this but I haven't bought any in a long time. I wish I could wear slides, thongs or clogs but my feet are narrow esp my heel and they flip right off or my foot goes sliding from side to side.

What's your preference?

Honored Contributor

Re: Velcro Straps - Love or Hate!

Love!  Will no longer buy shoes with ties.  

New Contributor

OMG someone else who hates velcro!  here you go:

1 - it cheapens the shoe, even for a very casual sandal

2 - it's never tight eough

3 - it does indeed come loose

4 - the worst is a full buckle which is totally fake, over a velcro strap. why bother??

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love velcro straps on shoes! I don't like tying laces, as it's difficult for me to bend. Even if I put my foot on a chair it's still hard to reach the laces.

ETA: I re-read the OP, and realized she was mostly talking about sandals...I have several (mostly Alegria) with Velcro straps, and would much rather have them than a buckle. I have the same issues with buckles as I do with laces...they're hard for me to reach and adjust on my foot.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't buy shoes with Velcro straps. I'm not a fan of them, but there may come a time when I will need them & then they will serve a purpose. 

Honored Contributor

I don't have a problem with them.

Honored Contributor

I don't wear shoes with laces of any kind ...or Velcro either.  All of my shoes slip on a few have a buckle.

I think Velcro shoes are wonderful though.  Many people have physical disabilities that make it impossible to tie shoes.  Velcro helps them be independent and put their shoes on by themselves.  A great invention.

On some shoes and sandals, you would never know Velcro  is even there.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Seems as though I'm forever digging dog hair out of the hook section of Velcro  If  the least bit of it is exposed, the hooks find dog hair like a magnet.  I'd much prefer real buckles for appearance too.

I've had cheaper shoes (Earth Origins) where the Velcro wasn't long enough for me to tighten the shoe.  They are poorly designed.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I have many nice pair of shoes and sandals that have velcro straps.  You can't even tell on them that they are velcro.  It is a blessing when your feet hurt at the end of the day and or swell.  If it's not a "cheap" shoe in the first place you won't even know it's there.

Esteemed Contributor

At this point in my life I don't care for the look and don't need them but that could change in the future. I do like them for kids shoes though.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown