Respected Contributor

Re: Tin foil over credit cards works just as well as the purses/wallets

I am not going to freak out over stuff like this..

Honored Contributor

On 11/21/2014 CouponQueen said:

I am not going to freak out over stuff like this..

ITA. I'm not giving it a second thought. Seems like an industry based on exploiting unnecessary fear.

And btw, I can't believe a mature adult would actually use the word that was posted here.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

I have decided that its going to be one thing after another with identity theft. As soon as we come up with a way to solve the problem, the criminals will devise a way to get around it.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not buying a new wallet - so I took two pieces of light cardboard - wrapped them in aluminum foil and placed the cardboard sections in un-used slots (in wallet) on either side of my credit cards & driver's license.

I don't have to fuss with individual sleeves.

Super Contributor

On 11/21/2014 ValuSkr said:

Wrapped in aluminum foil, it wouldn't be fun to unwrap your card every time you wanted to use it. Nor to wrap it back up again.

ITA. That was my first thought. I'll take my chances till they come out with the cards with chips in them. I monitor my accounts all the time.

Respected Contributor

On 11/21/2014 colliegirls said:
On 11/21/2014 ValuSkr said:

Wrapped in aluminum foil, it wouldn't be fun to unwrap your card every time you wanted to use it. Nor to wrap it back up again.

You are so right, it would be a pain. Maybe the purse manufacturers can put a hidden foil lining in every purse!!

I'd rather mess around with wrapping & unwrapping the aluminum foil than go through all the hassle of cancelling my card, etc.

BTW, I saw what might be the same news report, on ABC Nightly News with Bill Muir. They talked to one of those guys from Shark Tank - I can't remember his name but he's the one who's made millions from his tech company. He demonstrated how easy it is for someone to steal your info, the same way they show it on QVC, then he said to just wrap the cards in foil.

Occasional Contributor

I cover my cards with the foil by putting the foil around a few of my cards like a small folder with an opening at the side or top. You can pull a card out or put it back with the others very easily. The foil fits over the cards like a folder that you put paper in. It works well for me and that way the cards I have, maybe 4 or 5 are all together and easy to get at.

Frequent Contributor

Aluminum foil not tin
Valued Contributor

On 11/21/2014 faeriemoon said: Stupid question: How can you tell if your card has a chip in it? Does the card look different?

Respected Contributor

On 11/21/2014 Boxerdoglover said: Aluminum foil not tin

Long, long ago, it was tin foil. Older people often call it tin foil. Also, depends upon the region in which one lives.