Honored Contributor

Re: Tin foil over credit cards works just as well as the purses/wallets

On 11/21/2014 colliegirls said:
On 11/21/2014 Desertdi said:
On 11/21/2014 Boxerdoglover said: It is aluminum foil NOT tin.

Hey......I'm retired from the "tin foil" company.....and a former Steelworker.........(!)

Ha ha, totally understand. My mother and her family always called it "tin foil". No big deal! Are you from Pgh?

Originally from Chicago......but married to a die-hard Steeler from PGH!

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I'm from Pittsburgh and we also call it tin foil.

Regular Contributor

I have a coworker who had credit card numbers, passport information and her Driver's License information taken from her purse with some kind of electronic transfer at our local Mall. I live in a town with only 65,000 people! Our Police Dept. says it is not uncommonly happening during the peak shopping seasons. They said individuals drive up the freeway, stop in and walk around while stealing information from afar and then drive on! I'm afraid to use my Dooney wallets while Christmas shopping! I always use Travelon during this time of the year when I go to Malls, etc. After seeing what she went through, I began to realize that this threat was really happening. Before, I felt it was a bunch of hype!

Honored Contributor

I did not want to give up my very nice wallet to get an RFID one so I purchased the sleeves and they are not at all difficult or inconvenient to use. I have one of the credit card passports and it came in a sleeve that says not to remove it from the sleeve right on it.

I honestly thought I would not l;ike using the sleeves but it is really extremely easy and not at all inconvenient. I did write with a sharpie marker on each sleeve what card is in it because you can't see the card - so for instance my driver's license I wrote DL and my credit cards I wrote the first initial of the bank since I have 2 credit cards and my mac card I write MAC. So now I know exactly which sleeve to pull out. Another advantage of the sleeves is if you are in a line to pay the person next to or behind you can't see what is in your wallet card wise as they are in the sleeves.

Honored Contributor

I'm confused. Why isn't there a bigger public outcry for this? And why aren't purse/wallet designers/manufacturers profiting from this? I'm sure a popular Q brand, like Dooney, could charge an add'l $20-30 more for RDIF technology, yes?

I've Googled Electronic Pickpocketing & other references, but it's always a 'one-off' news report...or a person showing us how easy it is (walking thru a mall) then promoting his/her prevention product @ the news report.

I'm still not bought in to the hysteria...too many unanswered questions.

-) Would having multiple chipped cards lying together give the criminal a scrambled signal?

-) Would putting a foil/RDIF barrier on either side of a large purse protect an unprotected card inside that barrier?

-) How close does that barrier have to be to the chipped card?

-) Isn't the card info compromised once it leaves the RDIF barrier....even for a nano-second when paying?

Occasional Contributor

I keep my credit cards in my wallet with aluminum foil wrapped around them. Easy enough to do that. I take the foil and wrap it around the cards like a small folder and keep them like that in my wallet . it is easy to just pull the card out and then slip it right back in with the others.

Honored Contributor

Yeah, maybe. But no one is going to walk around with their wallet wrapped in a aluminum foil...like it's a tuna sandwich...lol No one would do that.

Honored Contributor

Stupid question: How can you tell if your card has a chip in it? Does the card look different?
Super Contributor

On 11/21/2014 chrystaltree said:

Yeah, maybe. But no one is going to walk around with their wallet wrapped in a aluminum foil...like it's a tuna sandwich...lol No one would do that.

{#emotions_dlg.lol}

Occasional Contributor

You stack a few of your credit cards together and wrap the foil around the cards like a folder. And then you put the cards with the foil wrapped around them like a folder INSIDE the wallet. It is the size of the credit card.