Super Contributor

Re: Those with foot/ankle issues, what do you wear when you wear a dress/skirt?

AngelPuppy, you may have to go to a "comfort shoe" store. They will have shoes that are deeper to accommodate an orthotic and still fit where they are supposed to on your feet. Sadly, your orthotics may not work with any kind of heel - it will throw your center of balance off and your feet won't sit in the orthotics correctly. The sales people at these type of shoe stores are trained to work with people who have special needs and can advise you on what will work best.

I know how you are feeling - I've dealt with that myself. It's hard giving up "nice" shoes, but at some point you realize it's more than just comfort - it's your health, and that's more important than a pair of shoes. For years, my "dress shoes" were lace up tan leather shoes. At least now there's a wider and more stylish selection.

Hope you find something that works for you.

Trusted Contributor

I,too,must wear an orthotic. There are shoes out there with removable insoles. If there is a Nordstrom near you,go and ask for suggestions. I did this and found Pikolinos,Munro,Aetrex,and others. You can go to Zappos and search removable insole and tons will pop up. Zappos has great CS,too. Best wishes in finding the shoe of your dreams!
Honored Contributor

How about something like this from Cobb Hill?

Slide into refined style and cushioned comfort in Cobb Hill by New Balance Giada Slip-On Shoes

This slip-on has it all: Feminine style and supreme comfort in spades. Comfort comes thanks to advanced technology from New Balance. The contoured, removable EVA foam insole cushions and absorbs the shock of each step, while the traction outsole helps keep you confident on your feet. The full-grain leather upper is eye-catching with an asymmetrical line and pleat detailing, and it has an elastic stretch insert on the side for a giving fit. All combine for a striking shoe you’ll adore slipping on your feet.

Valued Contributor

You may want to check out the blog barkingdogshoes.com. It was started by a woman who has foot issues and she makes recommendations and does reviews for those with fussy feet.

Honored Contributor

I wish you luck and the other posters are right. You have to try and try.

I've done that - and finally come to the conclusion that for me, the only solution given the variety of issues my feet present is to own sturdy sandals in several manifestations. For me, the most comfortable and least obnoxious come from Mephisto or Aravon. I'm so fortunate to be a snowbird who can pretty much survive the year with my sandals for dress.

Flat alone does absolutely nothing for me. I looked at the pictures above and just sighed. I'd love to be able to wear any of those. They'd give me some variety.

Somewhere on my closet shelf there's a pair of very high-heeled strappy red sandals I used to wear to go dancing. Just can't toss them - put that on my silly list!

Honored Contributor

I appreciate so much your kindness and information!

I unfortunately live in a climate where sandal season is over!

I really am trying to accept all of this -- because, who wants to be in pain?

So, now I am just frustrated by not being able to find comfortable things.

I will check out the web sites suggested.

We have very limited shoe stores around and I have traveled around a good bit and have found nothing so far.

It's very difficult to purchase shoes on-line when you have special needs.

lola, I don't mind the look of those shoes at all. I will look at them on line. If I could wear those, I'd be thrilled!

Thanks, again ---- everyone!!!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

In the Phila suburban area, there is a shoe store called SHOEFITTERS. They specialize in fitting orthotics into all types of shoes. Even without orthotics, they carry shoes that emphasis comfort. Many styles to choose from... Perhaps they could tell you where you could find similar stores. They are located in Blue Bell, PA. My doctor lives in their sandals and dress shoes.
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

With a bone spur close to my Achilles Tendon, I live in Easy Spirits. For dressy occasions, I'll wear thong sandals with a small wedge heel and a long skirt or silky slacks. Don't own dresses or short skirts anymore!
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Contributor

Hi, if I recall, you live in northern Mi. There is a fantastic shoe store in Ann Arbor that might be your answer. I have been there when people with all sorts of extreme shoe needs have been helped. Their name is Mast,s shoes. And no, I have no connection to them, just been helped by them. If I am mistaken about your location, sorry!
Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, there are very few stores, if any, which deal with specialty shoes around my area. There is a SAS (I think that's what it's called?) near by. Is that any good?

No, that's not me. I don't live in that area.

Thanks, everyone.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin