Valued Contributor

Re: The problem with comfortable shoes

No bunions or hammer toes for me.  I am all for comfort with style.  The 6 inch heels can stay with the right owner.  I do not want to cause any problem for those who love high heels.  I am an easy rider.

Honored Contributor

It can take some time to find them, but I have several cute and comfy shoes that suit me and my style. Others may not think my shoes are cute, but all that matters is I like them and can wear them comfortably.

I have just about purged my closet of all the high heel pumps. I am finding, buying, and wearing more dressy wedges for height, comfort, & stability when I need a dressier shoe. I also own cute ballet flats with good support and low wedge shoes for work and casual outfits.  

I love a high heel and the way it makes my legs look, but I just can't wear them anymore. Btw I am over 50 and stand on my feet most of the day at work. 

Valued Contributor

I just had both my hips replaced -- one in December and one in May. After the first replacement I was on line shopping around and I found this CUTE (to me) pair of Clark's that NO WAY could I wear right now, but I'm pretty sure I can when I am done rehabbing. http://www.clarks.co.uk/p/26116065  

I call them my get-well shoes. Smiley Happy   I love that the heels are two-tone as well. Smiley Happy  Just me and my "thing" for Mary Jane shoes. I got them, and they are very comfortable.

Briggsie

Honored Contributor

After a triple arthrodesis of my  left foot none of my shoes fit anymore. I had so much metal in my foot I could only get into a wide width. I finally had to accept this and donate all my shoes. That was 9 years ago. I now need a wide for my left foot and a medium for the right so I have to buy 2 pair - it is very expensive to buy shoes this way so I had very few pair. Then Clarks started to have sandals with adaptability - velcro across the front of the shoes and I was elated. I could buy one pair and adjust them to fit !!!! So I have gotten 4 new pairs of sandals this year. I live in Florida so I can get by with mostly sandals.

For dress shoes I still have one very expensive pair of black dressy flats that I keep for only the dressiest occasions, and they are very comfortable. I only wear shoes that fit perfectly and are totally comfortable these days.

Honored Contributor

Even when young, I've never been the Jimmy Choo, Manolo Blahnik type regarding shoes. Even when my job required heels, I wore what I could handle vs. the highest heels and the most stylish.

Once I started having serious foot and ankle issues and a bad fall or two in middle age, being able to function adequately and get out and enjoy life became paramount. 

We all have our own personal definition of "ugly shoes"; I don't care what someone else's definition is, and I can handle my own definition 🙀

I will say thank heaven for orthotics - built-in or removable. They let people have many more options.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

Since I only work occasional part-time at our local library, I can pretty much wear what I want on a daily basis, which means you can find me in a pair or Rykas or Skechers. In fact, my birthday Skechers from last year look like they're getting worn out (which makes my Fitbit very happy). I enjoy sandals as much as the next girl, but am NOT a flip-flop girl at all. My old White Mt sandals purchased from the Q have pretty much all fallen apart on me. I think I'm down to 5 pair of dressier sandals & 2 for around the house only (I do need a black pair).

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'd like to put in a good word for "Hotter" brand shoes. Made in England, they are well-constructed, offer a variety of styles, and reasonably priced. Usually you can get a 20-25% discount, plus free shipping. You have a 90 day guarantee, too. I find them extremely comfortable, and I can wear them at work, on my feet, all day. Go to the Hotter USA website and check them out.

Valued Contributor

@151949 wrote:

After a triple arthrodesis of my  left foot none of my shoes fit anymore. I had so much metal in my foot I could only get into a wide width. I finally had to accept this and donate all my shoes. That was 9 years ago. I now need a wide for my left foot and a medium for the right so I have to buy 2 pair - it is very expensive to buy shoes this way so I had very few pair. Then Clarks started to have sandals with adaptability - velcro across the front of the shoes and I was elated. I could buy one pair and adjust them to fit !!!! So I have gotten 4 new pairs of sandals this year. I live in Florida so I can get by with mostly sandals.

For dress shoes I still have one very expensive pair of black dressy flats that I keep for only the dressiest occasions, and they are very comfortable. I only wear shoes that fit perfectly and are totally comfortable these days.

See my post about "Hotter" brand shoes. They offer extra wide and "dual-fit" shoes. The dual fit comes with a removable insert, so you can wear an extra wide on one foot, and a regular width shoe on the other. They may be the answer to your problem, and you won't have to buy two pairs anymore!