Respected Contributor
On 10/6/2014 ical said:
On 10/6/2014 paperheart said:

I don't know if it's just me or not....I refuse to buy a handbag that costs the same as a car payment. QVC used to carry lines of bags that occasionally came in under $100, but not anymore. Oh, except Travelon perhaps. There are a few Tig bags under $100 but all I ever see on air at the D&B, G.I.L.I. and ORYANI that are all so far out of my budget it's ridiculous. And they all look alike. Am I the only one who feels this way? A little balance please! I tune out Dooney & Burke because they just are too expensive and I don't care how good the leather feels or smells.

Honestly, I would like for the day when women would realize how carrying a bag not only looks strange, but also is a hazard to one's body alignment. Why not a small wallet? For lipstick? For personal hygiene reasons? For what, specifically does a woman NEED a handbag? Everything can easily be carried in a small wallet. It's so silly, imo, to drag around (even cross body) a sack of stuff to maintain being able to be seen in public.

But! There is a multi-billion dollar industry keeping that stereotype alive.

Women need a handbag for their sunglasses, their keys, their garage door opener (it's no longer safe to keep it in the car) RFID wallet and a small bottle of water. I am not a big bag girl but do need a good med sized handbag and yes they are expensive.

Trusted Contributor
On 10/6/2014 stevieb said:

I'd also note there are plenty of less costly bags out there... QVC doesn't offer many of them and, in fact, I don't think of QVC as the best resource for good buys on bags, but anyone who doesn't want to spend big money on a bag certainly isn't limited.

ITA. If I'm looking for a great buy on a higher-end bag, QVC is one of the last places I'd look.

Honored Contributor

It just depends on what you want... I personally want a handbag that lasts and I've never had a bag of man made materials that lasts. I'm not opposed to a cute style that's PVC Vinyl, but if I buy it I know it will crack and fall apart with constant use. I love leather and will buy leather. I've got all leather handbags in remarkable condition from the late 80's. I suspect they will last my lifetime.

The Q carries the Tignanello brand, which used to be all leather, which was really good. To keep the prices down, they put man-made trim, handles and bottom on most of the bags now, which is the best of both worlds at a better price, but the man made materials crack, split and fall apart far soon than the leather.

Mine is not a status urge at all... it's a love of fine leather, or a finely crafted product. Doesn't have to have a known label at all. I just love handbags... {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Need a handbag?? lol.... no one "needs" more than a Vons sack to carry their stuff, or more than one pair of shoes.... we WANT cute handbags and shoes and clothes cause we're girls....

Who needs more than one watch, or a watch at all if you own a Smart Phone?

Or earrings, or rings, or anything for that matter? {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor
Don't buy from qvc...try zappos or ebags, every bag imaginable and in most cases, no shipping and handling.
Super Contributor

I like D&B handbags, but they are too $ and too heavy. I like the quality features of D&B ( the handles are all leather and less likely to fray, the lining is a heavier nylon that is slow to snag or tear). My solution? I went on EBAY and purchased a black nylon satchel. Coated cotton is also lighter. Tig bags have a nice feeling leather, but the straps are lined in vinyl which always cracks.

Occasional Contributor

I wasn't really needing any advice on where to shop, or anyone rationalizing the need for a handbag. I just wanted to hear whether there were any other women out there who thought that maybe QVC could branch out in the handbag world they way they have with cosmetics and fashion. I'd like to see them carry some more moderately priced bags....

Honored Contributor
On 10/7/2014 paperheart said:

I wasn't really needing any advice on where to shop, or anyone rationalizing the need for a handbag. I just wanted to hear whether there were any other women out there who thought that maybe QVC could branch out in the handbag world they way they have with cosmetics and fashion. I'd like to see them carry some more moderately priced bags....

They have in the past. Years ago I bought a bag from QVC that was about 40-50 dollars. I returned it because it was cheap and didn't look like it would stand up to even normal use.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor
On 10/7/2014 paperheart said:

I agree with you. I would very much like to see some moderately priced purses.

Super Contributor

I am not one to buy a brand name bag and pay the demanded overly-priced dollars for it just to carry the status symbol name. I believe it it disgusting how much standard bags have gotten to these days. Over the past five days, I've written threads stating my opinion, and that I will not support these vendors and prices, just to show that I can afford a certain brand and do buy it.

Oddly, every post was eradicated within two hours or less. I didn't say any harsh words or bad things, just that I had my reason's for not buying any of these bags. Still, every post was removed.Until we all stop paying these prices and insist on more reasonable ones, these manufacturer's will keep on giving us the same old stuff.

I have always found very nice handbags on sale made of total leather for around $ 75.00 or so. I watch and compare carefully. But I'n not budging on price and breaking my own rules to say I own a "______" bag. There are more important things in this world.