Respected Contributor

That thin sole that wears out fast.....

I have bought a couple of pairs of shoes (Earth Pisa Galli for one) over the years that have a cork heel or whatever and it has about 1/8 inch sole on bottom.  I have worn the earth twice and when I looked at the heel it was worn on outside edge.  I have an aetrex pair and trying to find someone to put a new sole on is very hard in my area and expensive.  When I was young I would put metal taps on the shoes to keep them from wearing.  I won't buy anymore shoes like this.  I thought maybe the heel had better wearing power now but not so.

Honored Contributor

Re: That thin sole that wears out fast.....

@chicletThat's really fast to wear down, but I'll also suggest you that if your heel is wearing on that outside edge, it's also a sign that you could need more side to side support than those shoes are giving you.  

Valued Contributor

This may be a situation that you should seek medical advice from a podiatrist.  Uneven or excessive wear on one side of shoes or the other is either the result of overpronation (inner) or Supination (outer), especially if you are noticing it on other shoes as you mentioned since you have been young & you put taps on to prevent excessive wearing.  I had to do the same also, and have either worn orthotics, or shoes with stable bases to prevent supination.  When there is a foot condition present, fashion shoes are the biggest detriment to walking & comfort.  It's not the shoes, it's your gait, so hoping you will seek medical advice as this can affect your knees, back & feet if not properly addressed.

You may find the following link helpful & I have also posted an excerpt...

• Shoe Wear Pattern: Look at the soles of your current walking or running shoes. Overpronators will see more wear on the inner side of the heel and forefoot. Supinators will see more wear on the outside edge of the shoe.

https://www.verywellfit.com/pronation-definition-3436329

Respected Contributor

@chiclet   I've never experienced that problem with any of my shoes, although I have a lot of them.  It sounds like you supinate when you walk (probably having a high arch in your foot), and also tend to come down hard on your heels.  It may be that you don't need shoes with as much arch support, which is more helpful to people who pronate when they walk (like me, with flat feet).

Laura loves cats!