Respected Contributor

Surprising Shoe Size Differences for 1/2 Size

[ Edited ]

Ever wonder how much difference there is in sizing up or down 1/2 size? In terms of inches, it turns out NOT MUCH: about 1/8 inch.

This became important to me as I was trying to figure out why my normal size 8 in high heels always gets heel slippage. Then I just ordered Vionic's new heels and decided to order both 7-1/2 and 8 to figure it out. Heel slippage with the 8 compared to the 7-1/2, which also helps explain that our foot shrinks a bit with an arch support.

a270379.001.jpeg

Here's a useful chart:

shoe_size_chart.JPG

Honored Contributor

Re: Surprising Shoe Size Differences for 1/2 Size

They always tell you to size down a 1/2 size on the vionics.

Respected Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

They always tell you to size down a 1/2 size on the vionics.

On THESE heels, at the presentation he specifically said to stay with your true size.

Wonder why?

Honored Contributor

That is weird.  

Respected Contributor

@GCR18: Weird is right! Then read the reviews, some sized up, some sized down, some kept their own size.

I think my take-away, from the shoe size chart, is that when it comes to HEELS, where our foot is plunged down towards the toe, heel slippage can happen with our usual size. That makes it hard to walk.

I suspect it relates to HOW HIGH the heel is, as my low wedges are not a problem in my usual size. This Vionic is 2-1/2 inches high. The higher you get, the more heel slippage in your normal size.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is no actual universal sizing though that manufacturers use, shoe makers do what they want. To give you an example. In Birkenstocks, I wear a 42 in unisex sandals but I wear a 43 in the clogs. In Doc Martens I wear a UK 9 but in some styles I could probably wear the UK 8. In Vionics I wear an 11. I can't even get my foot in most American womans shoe brands. In general I consider myself an 11. But if you go by that size chart and coverted all my different sizes into US sizing I'd be a 8.5-9 Birks ( that is not happening), and a US 9-10 in Doc Martens ( again not going to happen). Another example is Fluevog shoes. They are a Canadian shoe company and in general tell you to size up a 1/2 size from your normal American size, except for certain styles. Vionic says size down 1/2 size on most of their sandals or shoes with the wider footbed. But their 11 sneakers fit me perfectly. 

I don't think that conversion chart is accurate.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

According to the chart shown on this thread, I'd wear a 5.   I actually wear a 6, and have forever.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

It may well be that the chart is not accurate for all. At the same time, it requires one to place one's foot on a piece of paper, trace around it, then measure in inches. No estimates or standing on a ruler. (Results can be surprising. And useful.)

Honored Contributor

I have measured my feet in inches, I've been dealing with this different sizing issue for awhile now because I buy almost all my shoes online. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

@JAXS mom: How utterly frustrating! 

Recently read that Dansko (QVC) and Sanita (Evine) vary, too, for what looks like the same clog. Sanita made the clogs originally and licensed Dansko to sell them in the US, then did not renew the contract a few years back, so now Dansko is on its own. However, I'm a 39 in Dansko and a 38 in Sanita. Sigh.