Valued Contributor

Suggestions please for removing stain from white leather Tig

I have a glove leather white Tig handbag that has, apparently, picked up a dye transfer stain from another gray purse that was stored next to it in my closet. I know--I should have protected it by putting it in a pillowcase, but I never had a problem until I placed my most recent Tig purchase next to it. My previous bags never transferred any dye--just this newest one.

Anyway, I've checked the Internet for ways to try to get the dye out and have come across several possibilities. Wanted to check here, though, to see if any of you might have first-hand experience in successfully getting a dye stain out. Would really appreciate your suggestions on this. Thanks!

Valued Contributor

Re: Suggestions please for removing stain from white leather Tig

I have an ivory Coach bag that got BBQ sauce spilled almost all over one side. I used a new Magic Eraser, wet it with cold water, wrung it out and started to wipe it off. It came off, dried fast and you would never know what a mess it was. Worth a try on a non visible spot. It can't hurt. Good luck.
Respected Contributor

What ever you try, test it first on an area which won't show. Many leather handbags, especially white one, are only surface dyed. If you us any abrasive, like magic eraser or a harsh cleanser, it will take off the shine and often the color.

I'd start with a soft, white pencil eraser. Dye transfer is often just on the surface of the leather. A soft white pencil eraser can often remove surface stains.

Super Contributor

I would use WhooHoo leather cleaner first, then mix some white leather polish with the conditioner and go over the area. If that didn't work, I would use the white polish straight, and follow,with heavily conditioning it. If that didn't work, take it to a leather store if you really like it. This is why I condition and seal all my bags, especially light colors and sueded leather like Aimee K's python. I don't stuff my bags or put them in the dust covers anymore, unless I won't be using them for months and they are very expensive. I learned that the light color Tigs pick up color easily, even from clothes. I have a yellow one that my daughter carried and it got quite discolored. I got it clean though. definitely use a fabric/suede sealant like the other WhooHoo product with your light colored leathers. I even put sealant on the inside of my bags if the lining is fabric. Some of the Gucci bags actually have a full leather, glossy lining. Sadly, not the one I'm getting. Now, my expresso lizard Roma doesn't require any treatment, but the Natural Ostrich needed several coats just to make it look good, I've taken a lot of flack for that, but I think most of the ladies who were upset with the bag would have been thrilled if they could see how gorgeous it looks after conditioning. I feel no guilt about sending it back, if I do, because it looks 10 times better now. I hated it when I opened it...uneven dots, streaking, scratches. It all evened out after my treatment, although it is just a little bit darker now. It is SO pretty. I'm very handy at fixing things. I wish I had taken before pictures.
Super Contributor

Very good advice, although it is hard to test on the Tigs, since the bottoms and trim are often not real leather.
On 7/5/2014 lavenderjunkie said:

What ever you try, test it first on an area which won't show. Many leather handbags, especially white one, are only surface dyed. If you us any abrasive, like magic eraser or a harsh cleanser, it will take off the shine and often the color.

I'd start with a soft, white pencil eraser. Dye transfer is often just on the surface of the leather. A soft white pencil eraser can often remove surface stains.

Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions. I've read a lot of different ideas on what to do on the Internet, but a little afraid to try some of them. For instance, one I'm sure you all have no doubt heard of--hairspray. Also, rubbing alcohol. Guess I'm going to have to experiment and hope for the best. Thanks, again.