Respected Contributor

Suggestions Please

[ Edited ]

With some foot and ankle issues I need support in a sneaker or athletic shoe.

SOO many shoes now are such thin material like mesh, foam, knit!!!!. Or they have a bungie cord, or they are slip on, or they just dont offer much support at all!!!

It is not easy to find a supportive sneaker. Something that laces up!   Does anyone know where I can find anything like this?

Valued Contributor

If you have a Rack Room near you, they have a number of lace up, supportive sneakers/walking shoes.  I've had good luck with the Asics brand they carry.  I have walked many miles in them. No break in time required. I think a number brands are going to a mesh type fabric because they are cooler.  But to me the stretchy type fabrics are not supportive.

Esteemed Contributor

You are not going to find them on QVC.

I have lots of problems with bones, nerves and just walking without falling.  Go to a store that stocks well made shoes.  Try somewhere like Runner's World, New Balance or REI, whatever you have close.  They will help with the fit and most important they should have inserts which actually help you.  You can choose mesh or leather.  Be ready to pay but they will last.

Once you find the right mix it will be like being on a cloud in heaven.  

Honored Contributor

Sounds like you need a good athletic tennis shoe.  Online you could try Amazon, Zappos, etc.  Also a athletic store at your local mall may have what you are looking for.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

I have some similar foot issues and what works for me is an all leather lace up sneaker. I have tried the bungee cord or knit top styles. They are okay for a few hours but I need the footbed and arch support for the longer times. I have had the best luck with Earth shoes in the Origins line. That said, I did purchase the suede bootie "relaxred fit" Sketchers TSV and it works for me. Now, if they made this in leather in a shoe style that would be a "yes".

Honored Contributor

@FlowerBearI wear a very good New Balance.  It's expensive,  but I've tried several of their less expensive and they did not give me enough support and I ended up with both foot and back pain.

I just needed to replace the pair I'd been walking in for over a year.  Without telling the salesman what brand or shoe I'd been wearing, I told him my problems.  Surprise, surprise!  He offered me the same shoe I'd purchased a year ago at another orthopedic store.  The good news was that this store sold it for $15 less than I'd paid last year.  Still, with tax that sneaker was just over $175 -   and the other good news is that I haven't had to visit my chiropractor since I switched to this shoe.  Saving co-pays and not having pain???    All good.

Honored Contributor

Currently, LandsEnd has two or three pairs of lace-up sneakers showing online.

JCPenney also has some online.

Honored Contributor

Foot Smart dot com has many choices of shoes for all types of problems.

You could also probably use velcro closures.  They won't loosen at all.

Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear

Easy Spirit “Punter” Spirit Level 3

Have been wearing for 20 years and replaced with new each year.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

I recently needed a new pair.

I had several brands in mind that I wanted to try.

But I also knew I had to bite the bullet and just go to a shoe store and starting trying on and walking around the store.

I went to DSW and probably tried on about a dozen pairs.

Memory foam does not give me enough support

I ended up with a running shoe, ASICS.   Great fit & support & lightweight

My shoe has laces, in fact it's time to replace them.    They came with the round laces, I prefer flat.

Their selling point is they don't just make a men's shoe smaller for women, they make a woman's shoe.

I set my budget at $100, I think mine were $69

I wear them every day

@FlowerBear