Honored Contributor

Re: Suede shoes / protected spray ruined them

Every time, I used waterproofing spray on suede it darkened the color.  I now expect that to happen.

My guess is that the darkened area of your shoes had more spray applied there than on the remainder of the shoe.

If all else fails, lightly saturate the rest of the shoe that is lighter in color trying to apply it evenly and let it dry while skipping the darker part.  Keep doing this until the color is matched.

Since you already applied a protector, leather dye probably won't "take" the color evenly, so I think that option is out.

Respected Contributor

Maybe you could find a phone number for the company that made the protectant and speak with their customer service for some ideas on removing the dark stain. 

Honored Contributor

I always use 3M spray that I order from Amazon.  Never had a problem with it.  No darkening or change of color.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Every time, I used waterproofing spray on suede it darkened the color.  I now expect that to happen.

My guess is that the darkened area of your shoes had more spray applied there than on the remainder of the shoe.

If all else fails, lightly saturate the rest of the shoe that is lighter in color trying to apply it evenly and let it dry while skipping the darker part.  Keep doing this until the color is matched.

Since you already applied a protector, leather dye probably won't "take" the color evenly, so I think that option is out.

@Carmie   That sure makes sense,   If I can't get the stain  which is darker then the rest of the shoe,   Then make the rest of the shoe that color!  I will consider that thanks

Esteemed Contributor

thank you ALL for your suggestions.    Haven't done anything as of yet , but need to do something as I haven't even had the chance to wear them yet , they are brand new and so comfortable .  I feel with them being a very light taupe shade it is probably why ,  if they were black it wouldn't be noticed.   also DH said he wanted to make sure they were sprayed well.   So that tells me he oversprayed 😼   Thanks again !

Honored Contributor

I feel your pain.  That happened to me a few years ago with a pair ot light tan ankle boots.  Brand new and I thought I was doing the right thing.  The spray left a blotchy color on the front of each boot.  Aggravating does not begin to explain how I felt.  Money down the drain.

Honored Contributor

I’ve worn a lot of suede shoes and never sprayed any of them. Only care was brushing with wire suede brush.

I currently own some white suede sneakers .. I just don’t wear them when it’s raining or I’m going to be walking on bare ground or grass.
Trusted Contributor

I've ùsed a brand named Meltonin and not had a problem. It's recommended for fabric, suede, I think about anything. Bought at Nordies but it was a while ago.

Honored Contributor

There is anew type of suede protector on the market. it is  called nano something or other. I have used it on all my shoes. It is expensive compared to the other stuff, but, it dried almost instantly. You can buy it at Amazon or at a cobblers

Super Contributor

I won't use spray on my suede boots - I just don't wear them out when there is active precipitation or in the forecast - on those days, I wear a pair of weatherproof boots.