Honored Contributor

Re: Style from the 60s - anyone remember?

I was just beginning.  Then, there was 'Twiggy"!!!  Life changed!!!

See the source image

Trusted Contributor

Re: Style from the 60s - anyone remember?

I had white go-go boots in the 5th and 6th grades.  I also had some fishnet stockings, but more usually I wore what my grandma called "leotards".  We call them tights now.

Somebody mentioned not liking royal blue, and I believe I soured on royal blue from having royal blue tights that had pilled and had little fuzz balls all over them.  I hated those things, but you had to wear them or freeze.  As others have mentioned, I was a sophomore in high school when girls were finally granted the right to wear pants or jeans to school.

I was also one of the first girls to have pantyhose, for which I took some criticism of being "too young" for tan colored hose.  Colored stockings, or knee socks were OK.  Teachers showing where garters attached was OK, too.  Something about stockings looking like skin was not OK. 

By the time I was in 7th grade, the white go-go boots were passe; but I remember seeing virtually every girl in the 5th and 6th grades had white go-go boots and were still wearing them.  One of them even had pantyhose on, too.  This was two years after I had been criticized for wearing them by a couple of the other girls at school.