Respected Contributor

Re: Style from the 60s - anyone remember?

I wanted a pair of white go go boots in elementary school but never got them. I do remember when we were first allowed to wear pants to school which was around 1968. I was one of the first girls to wear them and I remember an orange pair with flowers 😎. 

Esteemed Contributor

YES!  Go go boots with mini Skirts!  (And pantyhose, sometimes patterned).

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@haddon9 

@haddon9 wrote:

I used to watch the TV shows Hullaballo & Shindig with the dancers and I wanted a pair of white gogo boots so badly!  I  never got them but wore fishnets stockings and it was always a relief to take them off!  They would leave little marks on your legs and feet and really were uncomfortable.

As others mentioned just before pantyhose came along we wore stockings that were held up with garters.  I can remember in Jr high wearing mini skirts (we used to roll them up) but when we sat down you could see the garters....not a good look!

By the time I was in high school (1968) we were allowed to wear jeans....and from then on  it's what I wore most of the time in school.

• I graduated HS 1954.  When I dressed for 1st job, we wore nylons with the sems in back and garter belts, but then our skirts were long enough to not see the garter belts. Very se ###y fhough, but uncomfortable. Also hard to get seams straight.
  • In HS we had to dress  like ladies, no long pants, just dresses or skirts.  Buck saddle shoes, brown/white, cashmere sweaters if you could afford them.  Twenty dollars for a true cashmere was expensive.  I had a part-time job after school and first check was 20.00 .  There was a knit store next to where I worked.  Took my first check,brought a cashmere sweater and was so thrilled.  Had to call my dad on a pay phone to come pick me up, I had no streetcar fare to get home.  We had no automobile, lived in the city, didn,t need one.  So he took the streetcar and got me home.  Lesson learned on the value of money. over wants and needs.
Esteemed Contributor

@haddon9 

@haddon9 wrote:

I used to watch the TV shows Hullaballo & Shindig with the dancers and I wanted a pair of white gogo boots so badly!  I  never got them but wore fishnets stockings and it was always a relief to take them off!  They would leave little marks on your legs and feet and really were uncomfortable.

As others mentioned just before pantyhose came along we wore stockings that were held up with garters.  I can remember in Jr high wearing mini skirts (we used to roll them up) but when we sat down you could see the garters....not a good look!

By the time I was in high school (1968) we were allowed to wear jeans....and from then on  it's what I wore most of the time in school.

• I graduated HS 1954.  When I dressed for 1st job, we wore nylons with the seams in back and garter belts, but then our skirts were long enough to not see the garter belts. Very se ###y fhough, but uncomfortable. Also hard to get seams straight.
  • In HS we had to dress  like ladies, no long pants,  just dresses or skirts.  Buck saddle shoes, brown/white, cashmere sweaters if you could afford them.  Twenty dollars for a true cashmere was expensive.  I had a part-time job after school made my first 20.00 check, and there was a   knit store next to where I worked.  Took my first check, brought a cashmere sweater and was so thrilled.  Had to call my dad on a pay phone to come pick me up, I had no streetcar fare to get home.  We had no automobile, lived in the city, didn,t need one.  So he took the streetcar and got me home.  Lesson learned on the value of money. over wants and needs.
Respected Contributor

I was quite young, still in elementary school (parochial school no less!), and wanted white go-go boots in the worst way.  I mean, I wanted them BAD.  It was a solid "no" from my parents.  I swore that when I was old enough to buy whatever I wanted with my own money that I would buy a pair of white go-go boots. 

I suppose that by the time I had the $$ that the fad was long gone, and life goes on.  But I will never forget wanting them SO BAD.  Textured stockings were all the rage at the time, which my mom did agree to.  I remember they were almost a macrame look and feel.  Pretty thick and bulky and lots of different colors and patterns. 

Honored Contributor

@Junker2327 wrote:

I have looked and looked for a pair of white leather mid calf low heal rounded toe boot similar to a go go boot. I think they will come back around but I still want a pair now.

Beckyblu

@Junker2327 

Check Amazon ...

LIURUIJIA Women's Go Go Boots Mid Calf Block Heel Zipper Boot XZ-DX-1027

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ScenicMaine Yes I had a pair of white boots with a medium block heel.  I did not call them go go boots but they were the style then  in the 60's.  I worked at a large manufacturing firm in the "personnel" department and most of the women there were ga ga over the boots.  I thought they looked great with my shorter plaid skirt and cashmere sweater .... no fish nets just regular panty hose....i think I was 28 years old.

Respected Contributor

I bought my bell bottom jeans at the Army Surplus store.

Oh yes, white go-go boots, black fishnet hose and please don't forget the blue eyeshadow and white lipstick.

We were all so stylishWoman Very Happy

And who remembers that your Mother wouldn't let you wear short skirts but we would roll them up as soon as we left the house?

Life was goodHeart

Trusted Contributor

Oh yeah.  I wore those white go go boots with my purple satin hot pants.  I thought I was really hot stuff.  LOL.  I had a fabulous pair of black and white floral bell bottoms that I wore with a hot pink turtleneck and purple platform shoes.  Guess you can say that I like to be colorful.  I also was sent home numerous times from school because my mini skirts were too mini. LOL lol.  

Trusted Contributor

@VenturaHighway wrote:

I bought my bell bottom jeans at the Army Surplus store.

Oh yes, white go-go boots, black fishnet hose and please don't forget the blue eyeshadow and white lipstick.

We were all so stylishWoman Very Happy

And who remembers that your Mother wouldn't let you wear short skirts but we would roll them up as soon as we left the house?

Life was goodHeart

Slicker