Honored Contributor

Standing in the tub to take a shower....

Hurts my feet so much! I've lost all of the fat pads on the bottoms of my feet and I just can't take it anymore. Do I need to get some 'shower slippers' or what? I don't know what else to do. Anyone recommend a brand for me? Thanks!

Respected Contributor

Re: Standing in the tub to take a shower....

@SilleeMee   Can you put a shower stool or shower chair in your tub or shower and sit rather than stand?

I have also lost fat on my feet and I feel that it affects my balance somewhat as my shoes don't fit right anymore.  

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee 

I use a small curved top plastic type stool in the tub when I shower.  Even though I have non-slip strips, I prefer to sit down during showering and drying off.  I can still put my feet over the tub top to scoot from the stool to the tub topside and exit.  

My issue: heard too many stories of folks slipping while exiting from a standing position.  No sense risking breaking hip or something else and ending in a nursing home.   Hope this works for your disappearing foot fat pads.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@KathyM23 wrote:

@SilleeMee   Can you put a shower stool or shower chair in your tub or shower and sit rather than stand?

I have also lost fat on my feet and I feel that it affects my balance somewhat as my shoes don't fit right anymore.  

@KathyM23 

Yes, I have a shower stool but it's more of an inconvenience. I'd rather not use it. 

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee 

Years ago I had a problem similar to the one you have. I put a towel on the  toilet lid, sat down and washed my feet and put crocks on. Crocks are padded and waterproof.

Can you do the same?

Honored Contributor

I'm looking at shower slippers over on amazon. But I'm wondering how soft the soles are? If they're hard I won't wear them. I need them to have cushion. 

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee  Did you try a cushy bath mat? I have the same problem and I bought a bath mat at Marshall's about four months ago that helps considerably. Sorry I can't help help with name brand.

Honored Contributor

@KathyM23 wrote:

@KathyM23.  This is what I do, not for me feet, but simply because I can't stand for long.  I bought a shower stool on Amazon.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Would something like this help?  I lined my tub with a mat like this when I gave my larger dog a bath.  It was soft and slip proof.

IMG_2230.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@NEvans2 wrote:

@SilleeMee  Did you try a cushy bath mat? I have the same problem and I bought a bath mat at Marshall's about four months ago that helps considerably. Sorry I can't help help with name brand.

@NEvans2 

I've thought about getting a mat but it's just one more thing to clean so I won't get one. But thanks.