Frequent Contributor
I am needing to get some advice on shoes....
I am 33 years old and I am having issues with my feet, knees and hips. My husband thinks it could be the shoes I’m wearing.
During the spring/summer/fall seasons, I basically wear my Tieks (ballet flats) or I wear flat sandals. So basically shoes with zero support.
My feet, knees and hips have been stiff and hurting at the end of the day and now I have noticed that in the mornings when I get out of bed my feet hurt so bad when they hit the floor that I just about buckle.

So I don’t even know where to start. I know shoes are not a one style fits all but maybe you all can give me some advice on where I can begin to look.

Thanks so much!
Esteemed Contributor

@Smc09  I do not have the problems that you are having, but in the summer, my go-to shoe is an Earth sandal.  I generally wear sneakers since I do at least one workout every day; but, as soon as I get in my car, I am changing out of them.  I also have Vionic flipflops and some Sketchers.  What I like about the Earth sandals is that they can be adjusted for width.  Sometimes the others are too wide.

If you are having serious problems, see a podiatrist.  It may have nothing to do with your shoes, but foot support really is always a necessary.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I have arthritis in my ankles and found that Ecco shoes offer the best support.  I worked on my feet for 3.5 years after retiring and wore them all the time and rarely had any problems.  They offer a lot of styles from ballet flats to fitness to boots and in-between.  I love their slip-on sneakers and practically live in them now that I'm not working.

Ecco shoes can be expensive.  I always watch for promo codes and sales at shoesdotcom.  Over the weekend, I ordered a pair of ballet flats with 30% off.  You'll usually get better promo codes if you sign up for emails than if you don't.

Valued Contributor

Highly recommend Vionic shoes.  I wear the flip flops every day.  I have a few non-flip flop versions too.  I use them at home as slippers.  I wear them when I'm working in the kitchen.  I put them on after a night in high heels.  Vionic saved my feet (and my back & knees)!!  Never, never wear cheap, flat flip flops or ballet slippers.  Its worth the investment to spend the money on Vionic!

Honored Contributor

IMO you need to start with your family doctor.  It could be you have some arthritis that has nothing to do with your feet and shoes.

I suggest making an appointment as soon as possible.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

@Smc09  You need to start wearing shoes with support.  I also would visit the doctor as this soreness could be something more serious than footwear. You are young to be starting with achy joints.  Good luck.

Respected Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

@Smc09  You need to start wearing shoes with support.  I also would visit the doctor as this soreness could be something more serious than footwear. You are young to be starting with achy joints.  Good luck.

@Smc09  I agree with @LindaSal and would add that you’re at the beginning of the stage in your life where the flexibility in your joints begins to decline. Discuss this with your doctor, as the solution could be as simple as adding a joint supplement to your vitamin regimen. Good luck!

Respected Contributor

@Smc09 wrote:
I am needing to get some advice on shoes....
I am 33 years old and I am having issues with my feet, knees and hips. My husband thinks it could be the shoes I’m wearing.
During the spring/summer/fall seasons, I basically wear my Tieks (ballet flats) or I wear flat sandals. So basically shoes with zero support.
My feet, knees and hips have been stiff and hurting at the end of the day and now I have noticed that in the mornings when I get out of bed my feet hurt so bad when they hit the floor that I just about buckle.

So I don’t even know where to start. I know shoes are not a one style fits all but maybe you all can give me some advice on where I can begin to look.

Thanks so much!

@Smc09   I think you definitely need better shoes. Ballet Flats and Flat Sandals have no support at all.  If your daily lifestyle includes walking, I recommend Sketcher's Go Walk (A351545).  The Clark's Cloudsteppers sandals are also very comfortable and supportive.(A352766).  If you need fancier and less sporty looking shoes or sandals, Clarks also have a big selection, or trying looking into the Earth Brand.  I only have one pair of Earth shoes, because of the price.  But my closet is full of Sketchers and Clarks.  Have fun shoe shopping!

Honored Contributor

Please see your doctor regarding pain in your feet and joints.  Advice given here by fellow posters, though well-meaning, will cause more harm than good.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Re: Shoe Advice

[ Edited ]

I only wore ballet flats once....they hurt my feet so much!  Never again.  And never inexpensive flip flops, either.

I would love to wear high heels and pretty shoes....but they hurt my feet.

i stick to sandals with good arch support....Birkenstocks, Vionics, etc.  now and then I find a “pretty” pair!

And  as others have said, talk to your doctor.