Honored Contributor

Santorini Hobo: which color?

I really want the Santorini Hobo. I just love the lizard. But I can't decide on a color. Of course the grey is gorgeous and the lizard really shows up in that color. The Bordeaux is also gorgeous and of course the black and T-moro are also contenders for me. I'm a deep autumn and wear a lot of black, burgundy wine and purple colors along with navy, denim, oatmeal and olive greens.

I really love the grey and I don't own any bags in a taupe or grey color. On the other hand I could use a large black bag as my current black bags on the small side. Right now my two larger bags are orange and mustard. I just love the red lining with the black.

It's just so hard to choose. When I first saw them I was immediately drawn to the grey but man that black is just stunning.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

Re: Santorini Hobo: which color?

Let me start by saying there are no bad choices. I have seen the Santorini in the Dooney store and all the colors are really nice. And the drawstring is a very fresh style, although not my personal style. That said, here is my take on the colors....

The Bordeaux and the cognac are both rich and the most luxurious looking.

The grey/taupe is very unusual and interesting.

The black and the Tmoro are more subtle and you don't see the depth of the lizard pattern as easily.

So, it's a difficult choice, or an easy one. If the texture of the lizard is very interesting to you, I'd go for the Bordeaux. It seems like that would be a better color for your wardrobe than the cognac (although both colors are very similar).

Otherwise I'd go for the grey or the black.

Honored Contributor

I went to Dillards hoping I could see them in person but they only had the ostrich not the lizard. I did get to check out the hobo silhouette though and I don't think it's the right choice for me. I think it's lovely to look at but I don't like using bags that are narrower at the top. I'm not that thrilled with the look of the satchels and I hate the belt on the shopper even though I love the size.

I'm disappointed because I really love the lizard. I wonder if they will use that embossing plate on some other bag designs?

Honored Contributor

My choice would be Bordeaux, but that's me... There's a lot to be said for a stellar black bag and you can't go wrong with that... Still, my mom always tells me to go with your first instinct and that chances are you won't be disappointed... She's generally been proven right...

Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

jaxs mom: What about the hobo style in the Santorini? I think it looks very nice, although I prefer a satchel, so that is what I bought.

Honored Contributor

The Hobo was the one I wanted. But when I looked at it today I didn't like the narrow zipper opening and it didn't seem comfortable over my shoulder. I think I'm going to pass on these and hold out hope that they come out with more styles in the lizard.

Honored Contributor

Gosh now I'm thinking maybe I'll go for the satchel, do you have the larger or smaller one Lavenderjunkie? Going by the Dooney site it seems like the larger one is 2 inches longer and maybe an inch wider. Now I wish I'd looked at the satchels when I was at Dillards today but I was focused on the hobo.

Honored Contributor

So now all bets are off... If you go for the satchel, my vote would be the larger and in Bordeaux!

Seriously, I prefer satchels anyway, and given the shape of this one, I do prefer the larger of them, but all the colors are pretty... and the light grey is very pretty.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I'm driving myself crazy looking at the videos and trying to choose a color and silhouette, I'm going to bed. Thanks for the enabling lol.

Respected Contributor

jaxs mom: I have the smaller satchel and it's more than big enough. I have it in the lizard in... Bordeaux, grey, and black. Can you tell I like the lizard and the satchel? Wink I also bought the satchel in the Samba in purple. It's the same shape and size.

The size of the small satchel is perfect. I don't like small handbags and I don't like really oversized handbags. The small satchel isn't small.... it's just not as big as the larger one. But the small satchel has a wide base and holds a lot. I carry: a wallet, cosmetic case, eye glass case, credit card case, 2 sets of keys, a package of tissues, some tic tacs, and a lipstick case. Plenty of room.

I should add that I don't use the long strap, but I did notice it's much wider than typical detachable straps and I think it's long enough for cross body.

The only thing I would change on the Santorini satchel is the decorative lock. It's just not my thing, but I've overlooked it because I love the handbag.

If you want to carry water bottle or books, etc then the small satchel may or may not work for you. But check the dimensions on the large satchel before ordering it.... look at the width across the bottom as well as the length and height.

Last thing Smile this weekend the Dooney outlets have an extra 20% off red/white/blue handbags (excluding clearance). Bordeaux qualifies as red!!!!!! I don't know if they have any stock on the Bordeaux small satchel or if it's shippable for phone orders, but it's worth a call. My favorite outlet for phone orders is Rehoboth Beach, DE. But all the outlets seem helpful. Just remember this is a holiday weekend (Presidents, not just Valentines Day), so they might be busy.