Valued Contributor

Same issue with GILI Milano Natural Ostrich?

I ordered the Grey and Natural Ostrich Milano Hobos this week and they are shipping. But I'm getting concerned from reading the reviews that the Natural Ostrich has the same streaking issue (like they didn't let the circles dry long enough) as the Roma II. I returned my Roma II for the same reason. Are there ANY natural ostrich bags out there (Milano or Roma II) without the streaks? Or are people just keeping them anyway? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Respected Contributor

Re: Same issue with GILI Milano Natural Ostrich?

I have the Natural Ostrich in the Roma II and, for the most part, mine is good, but there are some streaks hidden in the folds that I discovered. Good thing they are not visible because they sure don't look 'artistic' to me. They look like, as you say, not allowing the paint to dry sufficiently before using.

I would not buy another bag in this material because I would be afraid of the same thing happening and not getting a good looking bag. I cannot believe they didn't correct this issue from the last time (even though the manufacturer tried to say it was on purpose and the artists rendering of how it should look).

Super Contributor

I have the grey ostrich. At first I thought that it didn't have any streaks. Then I started to inspect it in an OCD kind of way. It has a couple of streaks, and there is an area that looks like they forgot to add any dots at all. But it is a beautiful bag. Nobody else would ever notice it.

I used to be such a perfectionist that I drove myself crazy. I am still dealing with trying to be less so. But now when I have something that isn't quite perfect (uh I guess about always). I remind myself that I'm not perfect, life is not perfect, and I should not expect perfection. And I actually embrace the inconsistencies of my possessions.

I'm not trying to get all Zen on you. But when you receive your bag use your first impression to decide if it is a keeper. Don't look too closely at first. You will probably find flaws when you inspect it. But nobody else will see them. And just remind yourself that nothing is perfect and enjoy your bag. Unless there is something wrong with it that you just can't get past. Then return it and be happy that you took a chance and won't have remorse for not buying it.

I hope you get a great bag and really love it!

Contributor

I received the nude ostrich and it's gorgeous. It's rich looking and classic. I've been loyal to Dooney, but this has really impressed me. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Respected Contributor

I've seen real Ostrich handbags. Depending upon where the leather is from it will have a different degree of 'spots'. So, on a single handbag.... the back or sides my be almost 'spotless' while the front will look more like a typical Ostrich leather. Of course, on the most expensive handbags they match all the panels, but on less expensive handbags so areas are 'spotless'. But no streaking ever.

Contributor

I have the grey Milano and the natural ostrich Roma 2.1. My Roma had 1-2 small areas where dots appeared streaked. I opted to keep it and really love that bag. I conditioned the leather and it darkened the bag somewhat so streaks seem less noticeable to me. The Milano leather feels like a step or two up in quality to me (maybe because it cost more...LOL). This bag is perfect as far as dots / no streaking. However, tassel and bag are two distict colors. Tassel gray, bag not. I am still determine if this is a deal breaker to me or not. Sorry for hijacking your thread about natural ostrich to talk about grey. I thought I would offer encouragement if natural Milano had streaks, not all are streaked as badly the same.
Respected Contributor

I just got the nude ostrich (that brings a sort of strange image to mind--featherless big bird, but meanwhile...) I don't see any printing at all. Of course, I'm looking at it by artificial light. I'll have to take it out to the sunlight.

I will say, it's gorgeous. I'm not a handbag nut and I tend to carry the same one all the time BUT I like good handbags. And this one screams fashion and high end. Very pleased with it. And the color. I hope the leather softens up a bit--Lisa the GILI Guru says it will.

Valued Contributor

I bought two Ostrich prints this past Spring from Brahmin.. They are both perfect, no streaks/smears at all. I still think it is a manufacturing flaw.. Crossing my fingers that my Milano doesn't have any or else minimal. If I need to return it - I think that's it for me as far as Natural Ostrich and GILI..

Regular Contributor

I purchased the nude ostrich and was concerned about the negative reviews and the streaking issue so when mine arrived yesterday, I carefully inspected it and I just inspected it again, under sunlight, before writing this reply and I've found no streaking. My bag is done well and beautiful. I cannot find the flaws. Perhaps others could find flaws but I certainly cannot and I consider myself knowledgeable about all leathers. I am happy with my bag and thankful because I would not have wanted to pay regular store prices for this type of bag. I await my black and snake.

Frequent Contributor

On 10/30/2014 EastCoastViewer said:

I purchased the nude ostrich and was concerned about the negative reviews and the streaking issue so when mine arrived yesterday, I carefully inspected it and I just inspected it again, under sunlight, before writing this reply and I've found no streaking. My bag is done well and beautiful. I cannot find the flaws. Perhaps others could find flaws but I certainly cannot and I consider myself knowledgeable about all leathers. I am happy with my bag and thankful because I would not have wanted to pay regular store prices for this type of bag. I await my black and snake.

Did you get the nude or the natural ostrich?