Regular Contributor

Re: Roma 2 fiasco shows QVC needs a new ""Department""

On 7/2/2014 SunnyinSEPA said:

What is the Roma 2 fiasco? Thanks.

I bought 2 of these bags. One for tsv price and after liking it so much, bought another weeks later. I got the lizard and ivory ostrich. Imo, an extremely beautiful, quality bag for the money. I haven't had any problems with mine, and they are both very well made.As another poster said, any mass produced items are sure to have a few clinkers. I have only had the best CS from qvc in the past.
It seems to me that some expect absolute perfection from these bags. If I had received a sub par bag I would have returned it. Some people seem to get awfully emotional about these GILI bags. Really, its just a bag!

Honored Contributor

Really, its just almost $200.00. Here's the problem: The old QVC wouldn't have accepted these bags from the factory. We old timers remember when quality truly was spelled with a capital Q. Remember the quality testing lab they used to show on air? I doubt that even exists anymore.

Honored Contributor

Apparently there are no business majors here and no one here as ever worked as a quality control analyst. Yes, we've read the posts from people who have had problems with Roma 2 but those posts only relate to to their experiences. When you consider the thousands of Roma 2's that were sold and the number of problems on this board; it's a very low percentage. The fact is, the ONLY way to determine if the bag had quality issues is to run the stats. Not the complaints on this itty bitty little board. You need the number of exact number of bags SOLD and the exact number of bags returned for QUALITY reasons. This is JUST an example because no one here has those stats. If QVC sold 10,000 Roma2's and 2000 were returned; but of that 2000 returns, 1500 were for quality issues, we would have a 15% reject rate. Which still means nothing because we don't know how many bad bags QVC PROJECTED. If they projected 10% (which seems reasonable), then the reject rate is something QVC would consider a bit high but not really a problem. Because you have to know that returns are expected for every product that every retailer in the whole wide world sells. Because perfection in the manufacturing process is just not possible. We have no way of knowing if Roma 2 was a "fiasco" and it's just silly to think that we do based on product comments and a handful of complaints on board the that 99.9% of QVC customers don't even know exists and don't contribute to. QVC reordered a ton of them after the TSV and they are still being sold, so the bag isn't as problematic as some of you would like it to be.

Valued Contributor

On 7/2/2014 depglass said:

Really, its just almost $200.00. Here's the problem: The old QVC wouldn't have accepted these bags from the factory. We old timers remember when quality truly was spelled with a capital Q. Remember the quality testing lab they used to show on air? I doubt that even exists anymore.

ITA.

On this board you have the "QVC cheerleaders" who I believe are really QVC employees.

Their job is to deflect the complaints of posters. If something is defective, doesn't work, etc. they post the item they received is perfect & if you are having trouble w/it they just about call you stupid b/c you can't get yours to work right.

If someone complains about the boring programming, same old stuff, you are told you watch too much QVC, switch stations, QVC is there to sell & not entertain viewers.

If a poster complains about poor quality of items you are told that your too picky, don't understand or appreciate an "artisans" workmanship etc.

These complaints happen across the board re just about everything QVC sells. I do believe that QVC must take better QC, put the factories they use on notice; that unless things improve w/the merchandise coming from them they will look elsewhere.

Occasional Contributor

On 7/2/2014 stevieb said:
On 7/2/2014 SunnyinSEPA said:

What is the Roma 2 fiasco? Thanks.

Personally, I'm not really sure there is one. Like any mass produced item, some who ordered have found problems. Last time around, there were reports of cracks developing in the leather near the handles. This time, there have been some reports of uneven color and pattern, and a chemical smell coming from the bag. It seems that because this is a Gili bag that came highly touted by Lisa Robertson, there is some perception that QVC should have ensured that every single bag leaving the factory was perfect. While there is certainly every reason for every customer to expect they will get a perfect item, in today's world, sadly, that isn't always realistic. If QVC stands behind their item and either issues replacements or refunds, that's about the best that can be expected. Still, for some reason, the issue of some having received flawed bags from this line seems to have taken on a life of its own...

Agreed.
Contributor

No Roma 2 "Fiasco" for me. Love the bag, used for about 8 weeks, still looks great, no complaints from me.

Super Contributor

They sold over 30,000 Roma's in just this version. It has hundreds of 4 star and better reviews. There were some defective bags, as there would be with 30,000 of ANY mass produced product. Many of the complaints and criticisms on these boards are from the same people over and over again, but the actual percentage of defective bags vs. bags sold seems to be minimal. I bet there are less than 30 people who post on these boards who have had a problem with their Roma. I'm no math wiz, but I believe that's .001%.

Far from being a fiasco, the Roma 2 has been a very successful product for QVC. If it ain't broken, why fix it.

Honored Contributor

On 7/2/2014 chrystaltree said:

Apparently there are no business majors here and no one here as ever worked as a quality control analyst. Yes, we've read the posts from people who have had problems with Roma 2 but those posts only relate to to their experiences. When you consider the thousands of Roma 2's that were sold and the number of problems on this board; it's a very low percentage. The fact is, the ONLY way to determine if the bag had quality issues is to run the stats. Not the complaints on this itty bitty little board. You need the number of exact number of bags SOLD and the exact number of bags returned for QUALITY reasons. This is JUST an example because no one here has those stats. If QVC sold 10,000 Roma2's and 2000 were returned; but of that 2000 returns, 1500 were for quality issues, we would have a 15% reject rate. Which still means nothing because we don't know how many bad bags QVC PROJECTED. If they projected 10% (which seems reasonable), then the reject rate is something QVC would consider a bit high but not really a problem. Because you have to know that returns are expected for every product that every retailer in the whole wide world sells. Because perfection in the manufacturing process is just not possible. We have no way of knowing if Roma 2 was a "fiasco" and it's just silly to think that we do based on product comments and a handful of complaints on board the that 99.9% of QVC customers don't even know exists and don't contribute to. QVC reordered a ton of them after the TSV and they are still being sold, so the bag isn't as problematic as some of you would like it to be.

The number of problems on this board is in no way indicative of how many bags were returned. The Q sells to millions of people a year - there are how many people registered on the board here vs. shoppers? It's a very low percentage. Even a LOWER percentage of people take the time to post a complaint.

I think a better indicator is that 2 weeks after these bags were sold out - they were suddenly available again - in every color - on easy pay. They were obviously returns - NOT re-orders - no way could they make it over from China and get stocked in the warehouse in two weeks...and they are STILL available.

Super Contributor

""I think a better indicator is that 2 weeks after these bags were sold out - they were suddenly available again - in every color - on easy pay. They were obviously returns - NOT re-orders - no way could they make it over from China and get stocked in the warehouse in two weeks...and they are STILL available.""

True of almost every single TSV.

Respected Contributor

Believe me, CS reps DO NOT inform corporate of your complaints! I had a terrible experience w/ a product yrs ago. It ruined my outdoor furniture. Every single review stated the exact same thing and, yet, complaints were not getting to corporate- It took numerous calls to get my money back. After about 6 mos, they paid for my 2 outdoor chairs and discontinued the product!

I had a few other issues that I had spoken to CS about- Corporate was never notified.