Valued Contributor

Re: Roma 2 fiasco shows QVC needs a new ""Department""

I called Proctor & Gamble about a problem with a product----I spoke to a real person who helped and they sent me $25 worth of coupons---why can't Q even bother?
Valued Contributor

Well, since I cancelled cable, I sometimes have QVC on more often than not, while I'm doing stuff on my tablet, and I noticed how they bring a lot of tops and pants in zillion colors!!! Made me wonder - why?? I guess because they have returning customers who buy them!!! As long as they make some profit, they keep selling....and those GILI products are probably way overpriced so they don't care about returns....they probably have a high allowance for the write-offs on their books....(accountant talking Smiley Wink)

Valued Contributor

Taken from their last yearly report.... they obviously don't care about CS because they can afford not to!

"Demographics of customers
We enjoy a very loyal customer base, as demonstrated by the fact that for the twelve months ended December 31, 2013, approximately 86% of our worldwide shipped sales came from repeat customers (i.e., customers who made a purchase from us during the prior twelve months), who spent an average of $1,335 each during this period. An additional 6% of shipped sales in that period came from reactivated customers (i.e., customers who previously made a purchase from us, but not during the prior twelve months).
We believe our core customer base represents an attractive demographic target market. Based on internal customer data, approximately 51% of our 7.5 million U.S. customers for twelve months ended December 31, 2013 were women between the ages of 35 and 64."
Valued Contributor

"allowance for doubtful accounts of $83 million at December 31, 2013"

So they may not collect $83 million and they still make about 38% in gross profit.

Here is the link to their 2013 10K report in case anyone is interested:

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1254699/000125469914000005/qvc_10kx12312013.htm

....in other words, don't count on things getting better....

Honored Contributor

I don't know how they get the info for the demographic. I've never told them my sax or age.

I've worked for organizations that decided phone calls were taking too much time so we'll take messages. That's a suicide mission if ever there was one. Pretty soon you have a huge backlog of messages for which there will be no time to return in this lifetime. They'll be sorry!

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Per ehow.com : "most major retailers only have a gross profit margin in the 20 to 30 percent range (and net profit can be as little as 2 percent according to the Michigan Retailers Association)."

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/info_7906425_good-gross-profit-margin.html

QVC gross profit in 2013 was 37% and net profit 7%! Now, that's impressive....

Trusted Contributor

Seems like several Gili products don't have very favorable ratings. I think I would wait for reviews before I invested in them. They seem way over priced for what they are.

Honored Contributor

On 7/1/2014 Ladybug724 said:

Maybe you should call in to a show live on air lol!!!! You'll get fast service then!

The calls are probably on some sort of slight delay and if one of them got too rambunctious it would probably be one of those that gets mysteriously 'dropped'.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Regular Contributor

What is the Roma 2 fiasco? Thanks.

Honored Contributor

On 7/2/2014 SunnyinSEPA said:

What is the Roma 2 fiasco? Thanks.

Personally, I'm not really sure there is one. Like any mass produced item, some who ordered have found problems. Last time around, there were reports of cracks developing in the leather near the handles. This time, there have been some reports of uneven color and pattern, and a chemical smell coming from the bag. It seems that because this is a Gili bag that came highly touted by Lisa Robertson, there is some perception that QVC should have ensured that every single bag leaving the factory was perfect. While there is certainly every reason for every customer to expect they will get a perfect item, in today's world, sadly, that isn't always realistic. If QVC stands behind their item and either issues replacements or refunds, that's about the best that can be expected. Still, for some reason, the issue of some having received flawed bags from this line seems to have taken on a life of its own...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...