Valued Contributor

Apparently, there is a reason why stores like Macy's or BBB accept returns at ANY time even without a receipt. It's simple - they can afford it! They have an allowance for this kind of stuff, they run a business, and they know what they are doing.

It's up to you, whether you use this policy or abuse it, but this discussion is pointless, because everyone has their own reasons, ethics, and circumstances.

I had to return a bag to Macy's after 30 days were over because after carrying it for sometime, I decided it was not working for me. I did the same thing with the Starbucks single cup coffee maker because it turned out to be a piece of s..... but normally I don't return much....However, it's nice to have this option!

Incidentally, for the life of me, I can't understand why ladies send something back THE SAME DAY they received the purchase?!? Seems like a very impulse buyer....to me it's just a waste of $ for all the shipping costs! But again, to each their own.... these discussions won't change anything..... Happy 3 day weekend, everyone! Smile

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe this is why prices have increased so much. QVC has to sell the returned items to the secondary market, and not return them to the current inventory.

Trusted Contributor

Don't cry for poor poverty-stricken QVC....they write off the returns that can't be returned to inventory and send them to the outlets. And most customers are like you and me, careful good customers.

Candy

Respected Contributor
On 7/3/2014 tough_kitty said:

Apparently, there is a reason why stores like Macy's or BBB accept returns at ANY time even without a receipt. It's simple - they can afford it! They have an allowance for this kind of stuff, they run a business, and they know what they are doing.

It's up to you, whether you use this policy or abuse it, but this discussion is pointless, because everyone has their own reasons, ethics, and circumstances.

I had to return a bag to Macy's after 30 days were over because after carrying it for sometime, I decided it was not working for me. I did the same thing with the Starbucks single cup coffee maker because it turned out to be a piece of s..... but normally I don't return much....However, it's nice to have this option!

Incidentally, THE SAMEfor the life of me, I can't understand why ladies send something back DAY they received the purchase?!? Seems like a very impulse buyer....to me it's just a waste of $ for all the shipping costs! But again, to each their own.... these discussions won't change anything..... Happy 3 day weekend, everyone! Smile

No, it's not always an impulse buy. I bought a RED handbag from QVC and when received it was red/orange (with way too much orange). I returned it the same day.

I bought some SG clothing and it was way too large; returned the same day as I wasn't going to take it to a seamstress.

Bought an expensive electrical device that was dead and I wasn't going to mess with it; returned the same day.

The same goes for uber poor quality items; they get returned quickly.

Some people just don't see the whole picture.

Super Contributor
It lacks integrity to use something, then return. Some as stealing, you are costing someone money. Should not make a difference if it a person or a company.
Super Contributor
On 7/3/2014 faeriemoon said:
On 7/3/2014 brii said:

I wouldn't return a handbag that I altered in any way.

I pretty much know right away if I'm keeping something or sending it back.

Me too. Unless something becomes defective within the 30 days, I usually make an instant decision.
I'm with you. If I treated it then something fell apart, I would still return it. Other than that I decide right away.
Super Contributor
ITA. If people object to QVCs return policy, they should complain to QVC instead of picking on people. Of course, I stopped reading the critical postings a long time ago, including those that are directed to me. I actually don't enjoy bickering. The reason I shop on QVC is their generous return policy. That is the reason I don't SHOP on HSN.
On 7/3/2014 krissie622 said:

QVC has a 30 unconditional return policy. As part of their sales pitch they encourage buyers to eat, wear, use whatever for the full 30 days, and if they aren't happy, to send it back for a refund. It doesn't matter what anyone here thinks of it, and it's not our business what someone does with something in those 30 days.

Clearly this works well for QVC's business model, as they make quit a bit, and a much higher percentage of profit than other retailers. Several threads on these boards have linked to documents and data that prove that.

To think that if people did not return purchases as described above that QVC would lower their prices is a stretch.

The point being, the policy exists, it's for everyone to use, if you abuse it they eventually stop selling to you, and spending time criticizing how people use it is pointless, and again, not anyone else's business.

Trusted Contributor

I have returned something the same day I received it. If the bag is too heavy or my "stuff" won't fit in it properly, it goes back. I have donated too many bags because I think " I will make it work because I love the bag". No more, wasted too much money that way.

Honored Contributor

Am I the only one who has never returned a handbag?

Honored Contributor

"Write off?" Next time you get your taxes done, have your preparer explain what "write off" means. People throw this term around to justify certain behaviors and they have no idea what it means.