Honored Contributor

Re: Re-think this Q !!!! Do we deface the Italian flag?

Sad to say there will be Americans who will buy this tacky, disrespectful , ugly piece of krap , and are willing to pay over $200 for it. Our children should be taught in school and at home by their parents about having respect for the flag and what it symbolizes.

Regular Contributor

On 7/5/2014 cotto22 said:

I don't understand the $ on the bag. What point is the designer trying to make? That Americans have money, like money, are greedy, the land of opportunity? Or that the bag is expensive? Whatever the point, it apparently is lost on me. I am in agreement that the bag is ugly, tacky, and that I can't imagine anyone with taste carrying it. Sorry to be so judgmental, but after a certain age and lots of kids, it comes with the territory.

My thoughts exactly.

Honored Contributor

On 7/5/2014 BradyW said:

Did any of you read this?

"The flag of the United States is any flag of the United States, or any part thereof, made of any substance, of any size, accurate or not, that is recognized as a flag by the reasonable observer." (Flag Code, Section 3)

"No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America." (Flag Code, Section 8)

"The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything." (Flag Code, Section 8h)

I think you should review the Flag Code for the Flag of the United States of America. Your depiction is disrespectful and illegal in the District of Columbia, subject to a fine. Not to be used on any sort of apparel and it is not to have any symbols added to it (like your distasteful dollar sign). Read it.

I totally believe you are in the right about the need to respect the flag. At the same time, the flag code is very clear that it is only talking about items that are reasonably recognized as a flag. The item in the picture is obviously a purse. A tacky one, but still clearly a purse.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

On 7/5/2014 SunnyinSEPA said:

Ugly. A.K.A., "Proud to be a Materialistic American." I don't have a problem with using the American flag in respectful ways (on clothing, home décor, etc.). I looked on Facebook and realized it is not one of Lisa's but a line new to the Q. I think it is making fun of Americans and how we are perceived in the world. I wouldn't be caught dead carrying this bag.

I wouldn't either, especially if I was abroad. Wow!! Way to really embrace the bad image of America. Pretty shameless...{#emotions_dlg.sad}...and embarrassing.

Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Respected Contributor

On 7/5/2014 Porcelain said:
On 7/5/2014 BradyW said: <p style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: #333333; font-family: 'Whitney SSm A', 'Whitney SSm B', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; line-height: 29.600000381469727px;"> Did any of you read this?

<p style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: #333333; font-family: 'Whitney SSm A', 'Whitney SSm B', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; line-height: 29.600000381469727px;"> "The flag of the United States is any flag of the United States, or any part thereof, made of any substance, of any size, accurate or not, that is recognized as a flag by the reasonable observer." (Flag Code, Section 3)

<p style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: #333333; font-family: 'Whitney SSm A', 'Whitney SSm B', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; line-height: 29.600000381469727px;"> "No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America." (Flag Code, Section 8)

<p style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: #333333; font-family: 'Whitney SSm A', 'Whitney SSm B', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; line-height: 29.600000381469727px;"> "The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything." (Flag Code, Section 8h)

<p style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: #333333; font-family: 'Whitney SSm A', 'Whitney SSm B', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; line-height: 29.600000381469727px;"> I think you should review the Flag Code for the Flag of the United States of America. Your depiction is disrespectful and illegal in the District of Columbia, subject to a fine. Not to be used on any sort of apparel and it is not to have any symbols added to it (like your distasteful dollar sign). Read it.

I totally believe you are in the right about the need to respect the flag. At the same time, the flag code is very clear that it is only talking about items that are reasonably recognized as a flag. The item in the picture is obviously a purse. A tacky one, but still clearly a purse.

Porcelain is correct. It applies to an actual flag which this is not.

Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Super Contributor

Tacky and tasteless is apparently the new ""old money"" look.

Super Contributor

Well, regardless of how we all interpret the flag code differently - I think we can all agree that this bag is just plain ugly. This must be a first in the Forum's history! lol

Respected Contributor

On 7/5/2014 Yuban3 said:
On 7/5/2014 hyacinth003 said:

Don't like it.

It is disrespectful of the flag. Try it on someone else's flag and see what the reaction is.

Hyacinth {#emotions_dlg.mellow}

So, how you you feel about paper napkins that have the flag printed on them?

This is no different.

I have no problem with, and actually like, representations of the flag.

Not ones with a $ sign defacing it.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

Lol, colonel meow! Have not yet seen anyone say they can't wait to purchase this item!
Super Contributor

On 7/5/2014 tough_kitty said:
On 7/5/2014 NYC2AZ said: What's interesting is that an internet search shows this same bag but without the dollar sign. The designer also has one with the Union Jack. I'm not sure why a dollar symbol had to be added for those bags sold on QVC.

True!

What kind of fur charm is that on the green one?