Esteemed Contributor
BOA advises tin foil
Frequent Contributor

My driver's License came with an RFD sleeve from the state.

Since I travel overseas, my cards have the chip and I am not taking any chances, I have had too many wacky charges in China.

Esteemed Contributor
On 12/2/2014 sjmplus1 said:
On 12/2/2014 twopeas said:

My dh and I usually only carry our debit cards with us; however, we have them in RFID envelopes. To me, why not do whatever you can do to avoid a possible problem? A few years ago we had a breech with one of our credit cards and the only thing we could think of was that they got the info on line. Fortunately, our bank contacted us right away because it was a very unusual purchase and a lot of money.

Nothing wrong with that if you're not paying extra for that 'protection' or get a false sense of security as those RFID envelopes are doing nothing to protect you except making you feel better. By the way, make sure you realize that debit cards don't offer you any fraud protection. If someone steals your information, they can wipe out your bank account instantly. Credit cards offer you protection so you're not liable. A debit card immediately withdraws money from your account. Credit cards also can offer you protection on purchases. Just something to consider

A couple of years ago my checking and savings account were wiped out. I think my information was stolen at a gas station that I stopped at out of convenience instead of going slightly out of my way to go to my usual one. My credit union restored all my money within 4 days, and assured me that I would never be liable when using my debit card. Between that and having my debit card flagged with the Target data breach, I no longer use it except for withdrawing cash at the credit union. I just never want to experience that feeling I had when I realized I had no cash readily available.

Respected Contributor
On 2/20/2015 stray770 said: BOA advises tin foil

One of those guys on Shark Tank, the one who has an internet security business, said the same thing. Just wrap your card(s) in aluminum foil & they'll be fine. I know some people think that's inconvenient, or looks tacky, but for some of us, the price is right.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} I don't currently have any cards with the chip.

Honored Contributor

Some banks do issue RFID cards. PNC has issued them for several years. Their RFID Visa cards have a Visa PayWave logo on them. MasterCard also has an RFID no-contact system called MasterCard Paypass.

Any card you can wave over a checkout pad has an RFID chip. The cards with EMV chips have to be inserted or slid through the machine.

You can read more about Visa PayWave here: http://usa.visa.com/personal/security/card-technology/visa-paywave.jsp

You can read more about the MasterCard Paypass cards here: http://www.mastercard.us/support/paypass.html

Honored Contributor
I've received two cards with chips, one from Bank of America. I don't routinely carry them with me unless I'm traveling out of state. I don't know if they're scannable but I do have a little card case to carry them in.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor
On 12/19/2014 Disneylandfan said:

So you walk around with you're credit card protected in a sleeve but then you have to take it out to pay so isn't it vulnerable then?

THAT is exactly what I'm thinking. So the RFID only works if you never take it out. The second you take it out to swipe it or show your ID you are then vulnerable. Makes no sense to me.
Honored Contributor
On 2/20/2015 michlynn said:
On 12/19/2014 Disneylandfan said:

So you walk around with you're credit card protected in a sleeve but then you have to take it out to pay so isn't it vulnerable then?

THAT is exactly what I'm thinking. So the RFID only works if you never take it out. The second you take it out to swipe it or show your ID you are then vulnerable. Makes no sense to me.
Someone would have to be lurking close by to scan your card. I'd assume you'd notice someone close using suspicious equipment.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment