Honored Contributor

Re: REMEMBERING SHOES FROM LONG AGO

@ECBG wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Don't think penny loafers was a brand-or was it?

@Group 5 minus 1 penny loafers was a type, Bass Wegens were an example.

See the source image

When I was in high school, I just had to have a pair of Bass Weejuns. My parents bought a pair for me.

As soon as I got them,  I went to my girlfriends house by bus, she lived about 10 miles from me in another part of Philadelphia.

When I was ready to go home the bus was pulling up to the stop. So I had to run to catch it. One shoe came flying off. And because the bottom of the shoe was new and slippery, the shoe slide right into the storm water drain. 

Once again my parents were so proud.

Frequent Contributor

@drizzellla  I love your story!  I had Bass Weejuns in high school, too!

Valued Contributor

I remember Buster Brown!

Frequent Contributor

@gramgrandkids1 I remember going into a Pappagallo store in Boston and seeing all the colorful shoes!  That was back in the 1990's!

Regular Contributor

Yes, definitely remember X-ray machines in shoe stores. Think that probably wasn't a good idea. Can you imagine if they were in shoe stores these days..omg!

We weren't poor, or wealthy, but back in the 60's we got three prs. Of shoes..black,brown, and a pr of sneakers.

Yes, I remember going to ThomMcCans, and Bakers for shoes.

Oh, and Kinney's..I think that was the name?

It was quite nice having the shoe salesman/woman measure your feet..length and width.

Boy things were so different.

Occasional Contributor

Bandollinos were my go to work pump. Always Fry boots in college. Enzos in the 90's.  Now it is comfort,comfort, comfort without loosing all style--Vionic, Earth, and when I am flush Paul Greene.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@wertz  I remember Enzo's Liberty.  They came in lots of colors!Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

As a child:

1. cowboy boots for play

2. saddle shoes for school (Buster Brown). I got saddle shoes for my children when they started walking

3. black patent ballet flats with button closure strap for church (used button hook to close)

3. when I got older my dad would order penny loafers from a catalog from Maine (probably Bass); my all-time favorites--and he always put a shiny penny in each shoe when he gave them to me.  Wore this style for years and years!

As a teen:

1. penny loafers, white tennies, navy tennies

As an adult:

1. Dr. Scholls

2. early Earth Shoes....the ones that were slides with negative heels

3. Birkenstocks when I was at a point I could afford Birkis

4. Went through a period when I started working in '63 after college wearing high heels of reasonable height since women could not wear pants to work (just skirts/dressses), but never really liked high heels of any height during my working years. After having children and being away from high heels, got rid of all of them and never purchased another pair even when I returned to work...do not even like platform shoes!

Today:

Vionic, Birkenstock, Earth, Ryka

Valued Contributor

@ScarletDove I remember most of those!Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

I had a pair of rust suede flats that tied in the back.  That was back in the 1960's!