Trusted Contributor

Questions About Vionic Shoes In General

I am not even an expert on my own foot issues.  I believe I have flat feet.  Have never been able to wear shoes like Birkenstocks.  Always hurt under the arch of my foot really bad.

Do Vionic shoes have the same features as Birkenstocks?

Also, are their wide width shoes/boots really wide in the toe box?

I usually wear only New Balance walking shoes because of foot issues besides the flat feet.  I cannot wear Ryka wide width shoes because they do not give me comfort in the toe box.

Really appreciate any comments from those who wear this brand.

Thanks to those who can assist me.

Super Contributor

Re: Questions About Vionic Shoes In General

I don't feel qualified to address your questions.  I do suggest that you go to a store that sells Vionic and try an assortment of styles on.  Otherwise, you could order on-line and if you don't like the fit/comfort, return them.

I have worn only Vionic shoes/sandals for the last 4 years.  I think they are the best and most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. 

Super Contributor

I meant to mention that my sister bought a pair of Vionic shoes at a local orthopedic store.  She was told she could wear them for 30 days and if she wasn't happy with them, she would get a refund.  Not all stores have that policy. 

Honored Contributor

I can only speak from my own experience. My fee are flat, and I tried  the Vionic thong sandals and sneakers . At first I thought they were wonderful, however after wearing them for a time, my legs hurt, especially my knees. This is not a knock on the brand, it's just what I experienced. I did ease into wearing like they advise, so they are just not for me.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I have a variety of foot issues and have finally learned that a podiatrist as well as good fitters at a local orthopedic shoe store help incredibly.

I can wear the Vionics I bought, but with my feet I'd never buy a thong sandal no matter what a TV salesman told me.  I can and do wear a slide in sandal, but it has 3 straps that help prevent the overpronation that is one of my problems.

Even my New Balance sneakers give me more hours and distance of comfortable wear now that the podaitrist suggested I give away the ones I had picked out for myself and have a fitter pick more suitable ones.  They're not all the same -  not even close!

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for all responses.

I feel like I should just raise one question here that was part of my original post.  Has anyone tried both Birkenstock shoes and Vionic shoes and had the same experience within the arch area.  Finding out that both brands have that same build up under the arch would give me a good starting point on whether or not I should try Vionic.  If they are the same, that would tell me not to bother ordering Vionic, because Birkenstocks were horrible under the arch of my foot.

Thanks again.

Honored Contributor

@LogoFan  I have flat feet and absolutely cannot wear Vionic shoes.  That big arch support sticks up and feels like a boulder, very much like Birkenstock.  My supportive shoe of choice is Alegria which has gentle support and eventually molds to your foot.  Plenty of toe room too.

You can see the new fall line plus those on clearance at alegriashoeshop.com.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@LogoFan  I have flat feet and absolutely cannot wear Vionic shoes.  That big arch support sticks up and feels like a boulder, very much like Birkenstock.  My supportive shoe of choice is Alegria which has gentle support and eventually molds to your foot.  Plenty of toe room too.

You can see the new fall line plus those on clearance at alegriashoeshop.com.

Thank you Kachina 624, this is exactly what I was trying to determine.  Sorry you have that same issue; but that is exactly my experience with Birkenstocks also.  It absolutely feels like a big boulder is in my shoe attacking my arch.  Really appreciate your help.  Will look into Alegria shoes.

Honored Contributor

I was told by a podiatrist several years ago (when I weighed about 250 pounds) to wear nothing but New Balance Running Shoes and Birkenstocks  (any style), and that was all I wore for years.

When Vionics (Dr. Weil, Orthoheels) came to QVC, I bought a couple pair of the Sandals, and liked  them.

ON MY FOOT, the arch support felt a little higher and less secure than in the Birks, because in the sandal, there was more "slip" as I took each step.

I continued to wear the sandals for dressy events when I didn't have to stand or walk very long or very far.

Later, I bought real leather suede loafers and liked them so much I bought several colors. THAT STYLE, which I think was in the Dr Weil era, had much less arch support, but I've worn them for years and they've held up very well.

Your foot cannot be the same as my foot. I've lost a great deal of weight, get more exercise, and in general am leading a different lifestyle than I was in my Birkenstock days.

But short answer, based subjectively on my own experiences s, you should definitely TRY a Vionics style and not buy bless you can return.

GOOD LCK- nothing worse than living with sore feet!

Honored Contributor

I cannot wear Birkenstock shoes, but I love their blue orthotic insoles. I feel their insoles are slightly more supportive, arch-wise, than Vionics, but only slightly; for me they're similar, which is why they both work for me.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all