Respected Contributor

Question for people who wear Wide

My foot is wide only across the top (toes to bunion).  Are wide shoes wide in the heel or instep?  

Respected Contributor

Re: Question for people who wear Wide

@Catch71  I actually had that same question a few years ago (only mine was regarding narrow shoes).  I have a very narrow heel because I'm small boned, but the bunions make my forefoot wider than it should be.  So, I asked a shoe professional where I buy my running shoes, and she said narrow or wide means the entire shoe, not just the forefoot or just the heel.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

Our feet sound ljke twins..lol   I have bunions too, I don't really have a wide foot but I need room in the toe area.  My experience is that W shoes are wide all over.  That's why I prefer mules and slides.  It's also why I love boots.  When it gets cold, I wear socks with my boots and mule/slides and I'm ok.  Flats are a challenge.  Some work with Dr Scholl's inner soles, or heel cups or those adhesive strips you stick on the heel area.  Whatever works.  My bunions don't hurt so since my only issue with them is shoes, I won't have surgery.

Esteemed Contributor

@njgirl, it's not as simple as that. Fortunately Google is very helpful.

I have a wide foot which also happens to be a Greek foot. You may have an Egyptian foot or one of the other types.

You will always find certain styles of shoes more comfortable than others because of the type of foot you have in addition to whether it's wide or narrow or average.

This is why I wish they would hold a camera shot showing the bottom of the shoe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Foot-Comparison-small-1.jpg

which-foot-type-are-you-egyptian-roman-greek.jpg

Super Contributor

@x Hedge that was really interesting, thanks for sharing. I had never heard that before.

Walking like an Egyptian here Smiley Happy

Never mistake kindness for weakness
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wear 6-1/2 wide (some shoes 7 wide). Just because a shoe brand says wide -- it doesn't mean that it's comfortable on me. I find Clarks fit me the best. And - not every Clarks shoe is comfortable either. I do prefer clogs/mules.When I buy Birkenstocks/Birki's, the Regular width is perfect - as it runs wider. I have many pairs of their clogs and sandals.

Trusted Contributor

I find going up a 1/2 size in Aerosoles in the med width works for me instead of ordering the wide pertaining to bunions.  Not all but have been lucky with some.  

Esteemed Contributor

I have a wider forefoot and a narrow heel. I am a size M/W in the forefoot and narrow in the heel. Many shoes that are wide don't fit in the heel as the heel will slip off when walking. I think that's why clogs and mules tend to be my first choice in a lot of shoes as they fit my feet.

Honored Contributor

I describe my feet as being twins with Daisy Duck. 

Once in my life, and ONLY ONCE, I found a pair of Atienne Aigner pumps with a 2” heel, that were AA/C- PERFECT.

I still wear them and love them. 

But only ONCE!

Honored Contributor

@Catch71,   Neither.  I wear a wide and it is say your bunion area and a little up from there but not the instep.

kindness is strength