Respected Contributor

Question for Birkenstock wearers

Can some of you Birk fans please answer a few questions about the softbed version vs. the classic firm cork styles?

I'd appreciate some guidance as to whether the softbed Birks have the same degree of arch support as the classic harder ones.

I'd also like to know whether the softbed feels as comfortable to you as the classic ones. 

Thanks in advance for any replies.   I need good arch support and get it from the classic Birks.  The softbeds are too expensive to purchase as an experiment that might fail me.

Honored Contributor

Re: Question for Birkenstock wearers

To me, they look and feel just the same as the classic Birks, just a little softer. I like both of them.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I think they're "built" exactly the same.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I began wearing firm sole Birks many years ago on the advice of foot doctor. I was very heavy, and I was almost unable to walk.
For several years I wore nothing but Birks. I think I had about 50 pairs.
As soon as the soft footbed style camre out I tried a pair, and couldn't wear them at all.
For my foot, NO support. The arch bends and yields where it is in contact with my arch,
and because it is so supple I felt no support from it at all.
Having lost a substantial amount of weight I now only wear some styles of Birkenstocks in the summer, and only firm sole. I think you'd have to try the soft sole somewhere to find out how it would work for YOUR foot.
Respected Contributor

I don't feel like I get the same support from the softbeds.  I have two pair and I only wear them in the house, as slippers, basically.  I don't feel as secure in them, if that makes sense.  The regular footbed conforms perfectly to MY foot and they almost feel like they're a part of my foot.  The softbeds are nice, and cushy, but they feel like I'm wearing a shoe.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I own both the hard/original and soft Birkenstocks. Love them equally. The only difference for me was that the the original lining took longer to conform to my foot. I also have a pair of QVC Vionics and like them too. 

Honored Contributor

I've been wearing Birkenstocks for over 20 years. I have no foot issues; I just started wearing them for comfort after being in heels all day. I have a pair on now and wore a different pair this morning. One of the best things about summer for me is living in my Birks!

When the soft footbed came out, I couldn't wait to try it. I love it! I get more arch support in the regular ones, but these are fantastic. I tell other people the difference is like wearing comfortable shoes then changing into bedroom slippers. They are like walking on a pillow! I love all of my Birkenstocks, and they are all comfortable. I also have Birkenstock platforms and wedges! 

I wish QVC would get them back! Smiley Frustrated

Honored Contributor

I have flat feet and cannot wear the classic Birki. That arch support is like a big hard rock. I'm in pain when I try to walk in those shoes. The soft footbed is doable for me, I have one pair. I wouldn't buy another because I've discovered other brands that are more attractive and comfy. The soft bed probably doesn't have the same support as the classic...I don't know how you'd tell though.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I love the soft bed! They feel like I'm walking on air. The dynamic footbed is great, too (I think it is a cross between the hard & soft footbed). I fact, I have one pair of the dynamic footbed and I pretty much wear them every day!
Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Many thanks for the useful comments, ladies.  Some of you like the softbed, some don't.  I might give them a try.......sounds like I could get along with them,even if not falling in love with them.  Have been curious, because it seems the softbed has come out in so many  more styles than the the classic hard sole.

Any shoe without an arch is not going to be comfortable for me for very long.  And, wow, those Vionic things are definitely not for me.  I don't have pronation, or whatever the problem is called that Vionic is supposed to help,  and I lasted about 10 minutes in that shoe.