Super Contributor

Question and Recommendations for Sneaker

My question is: are men’s sneakers wider than women’s? And I am looking for recommendation for sneakers/walking shoe that are really wide. Long story short: 4 surgeries on my ankle since Feb ending in ankle fusion. My foot is far less swollen but even wide shoes are too tight over the top of my instep. I’ve tried going up in size but can’t keep it on my good foot. I’m looking something that’s a shoe not a sandal. Thanks!!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question and Recommendations for Sneaker

Normally I wear Aesics that come in wide. If you have an SAS Shoe store near you, or maybe online. They may have shoes with Velcro fasteners. I wore them when I broke my wrist and couldn’t  tie laces. 

The employees at SAS will measure your feet and actually fit you.

My friend who has a bad foot got 2 pair of New Balance shoes. One in a larger size so she could have a larger shoe for her bad foot. 

Dr Sholes used to have Velcro shoes but I have not seen them lately when searching for my friend. 

Good luck! Both of my friends are wearing Birkenstock’s now & with socks in the winter.

Honored Contributor

My suggestion is to get a referral for a custom orthotic.   

All of my husbands extra wide, diabetic friendly shoes are ordered thru a supplier like this.   His are paid for thru the VA.   

For the last 10 months, my husband has been wearing a Propet slipper with an adjustable Velcro closure, due to a pressure ulcer on his foot.   Propet makes these slippers for men and women, and are available thru Zappos. 

Esteemed Contributor

Men’s shoes are not wider.  Just longer.

New Balance makes some shoes using last SL 2 which has a narrower heel, a higher toe box and a higher instep.  I think you are asking for higher, not wider.  They do come in various widths.

Respected Contributor

I take an 11W in most women's athletics shoes. I have found that mens shoes are wider but you might have an issue with the heel - you need to try some on.  My favorite shoes are SAS......but they are very expensive. I believe my last pair of walking shoes were around the $175 range but they also last much longer and you can order exta insoles. 

I've also found (with my bad knees and laziness in tying shoes) that elastic shoe laces work well. The problem is finding them in a length for adult shoes, rather than the shorter elastic laces for kids shoes. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wear a 7 C Wide - and recently purchased several pairs of Ryka Skywalk and Ryka Devotion Plus 2 from Zappos dot com. They also carry D width. Free shipping both ways.

You could also talk to customer svce for recommendations.

Super Contributor

Thank you all for the great suggestions!! I will check them out!!